Do joist hangers on decks make the deck boards uneven ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of using joist hangers when building my deck but when you have bent them over the top of the joist, doesn't that make the top of the joist uneven for putting the deck boards on ? The hangers only look 2 or 3mm thick so that would be the degree of unevenness, is it just absorbed when the boards are screwed down ?
Dumb'ish question, but haven't used hangers before and don't want to make a stupid mistake that later becomes obvious, with all the timber and time involved.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I presume you are talking about the joist hanger on the right (not recommended by TDA), rather than the type of joist hanger on the left. Which if so, I guess would make it uneven for the deck board

Thank you Mark, yes the ones on the right as you say, but only because they are the only ones I saw in the local DIY shed. I think I'll look for the other now that you've alerted me to them, thanks. Incidentally, do we know why the wrap over ones are not recommended ?

Or you could save your money and just screw the joists to the outer frame.

Sponsored Links
I would take WabbitPoo's advice. It's what I did and the deck is as solid as a rock.

i only use them for raised decks. You do need to get them flat on the top of the joist otherwise they can be a pain. Other than that i avoid them as they are a pain in the arse to use and not really needed

For raised decks I prefer the more traditional method of joists on top of beams and toenailed into place.

MW

Or if you do use the wraparound hangers, you chisel out the beam so that they sit flush with the surface.

Mini 50mm hangers will do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back