Do my downstairs toilet plans need building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a downstairs toilet in my house already, and am looking at having it renovated. Its a small room, the length of which shares a brick wall with my garage. Currently the toilet has a sink literally built into the wall (due to lack of space.

My bathroom fitter has suggested knocking through the wall into the garage, roughly the size of a doorway, and putting a lintel over the top. then creating an alcove about a foot deep that will hold a new sink unit. This alcove will protrude into the garage, and he is proposing to create the rear and side wall of the alcove using suitably insulated board.

My question is - do I need to get building regs for this work?

Hope that makes sense, a simple diagram attached...

Sponsored Links
Technically you probably do, but I wouldn't worry yourself with notifying LABC as long as you maintain the fire rating of the wall between the garage and toilet. That is all LABC will be concerned with.

On a separate point have you considered installing a combined toilet and basin if space is tight? Roca do a W+W that may work out cheaper than incurring additional building works to create the alcove.

On another separate note are you "Jabberwocky" of the starry eyed ellie goulding dup step fame? :D

W**k and wash?
If that's what floats yer boat.
ww-greywater-system1.jpg

Roca W+W

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back