Do RCDs save lives

Do RCDs save lives in the case of electric shocks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Poll poll poll

In the case when someone touches a live wire/terminal in the home or garden

Don't think of TT installations

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that just these two answers are going to convey the proper range of beliefs.

Do I believe that they have saved lives? Yes, quite probably in some cases, so I can't answer "No."

Do I believe that they save lives to the extent that such is often promoted and widely believed? No. So an "Oh Yes!" answer is really too strong for me, and would be indistinguishable from those voting the same way who really think they're some magic panacea.

Perhaps we could have an intermediate voting option?

Another option would be "Do they save lives by preventing electric shock by tripping out on occurrence of an earth fault?".

Poll poll poll
I don't know about others, but I would need more answer options before I could even contemplate responding to that question. RCDs clearly can/could "save lives", but whether they ever have done so is unknown, and is essentially impossible to ever know ... if someone receives, and survives, an electric shock which causes an RCD to operate, it is possible that they might have died in the absence of the RCD - but, unless you have a crystal ball ....!! Similarly, if a fault causes an RCD to operate before anyone has received a shock as a result of the fault, we can never know whether, in the absence of the RCD, anyone would ever have received a shock of any sort, let alone a fatal one.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Another option would be "Do they save lives by preventing electric shock by tripping out on occurrence of an earth fault?".
As I've just written, the proper answer to that surely has to be "we can never know" (whether they have ever 'saved a life' by that mechanism)? They obviously could - but do they, or have they ever??

Kind Regards, John

I'm willing to believe that they make a tiny, and possibly imperceptible, difference to the number of people killed by electric shock.

AFAIK very few people are killed by shock in the home. When they are, they may be holding (or sometimes biting) both L&N conductors, so an RCD would not save them.

I do believe that they reduce the number of frightening, but non-lethal, shocks.

As I've just written, the proper answer to that surely has to be "we can never know" (whether they have ever 'saved a life' by that mechanism)? They obviously could - but do they, or have they ever??

Kind Regards, John
Tripping on an earth fault could also prevent some deaths from fire. However as you say we'll never know. I was just trying to point out that the benefits of an RCD don't depend on someone getting an electric shock, a fact that is often not appreciated even among professionals.

Is the number of fatalities lower now than before the introduction of RCDs?

If yes, what would the number have been without them?
If no, what would the number have been without them?

you'd have to correct for the confounding effects of other changes or trends that were going on at the same time. I don't believe anyone knows.

The poll says "in the case of shocks" thus ruling out fires.

Give me a sensible 3rd option and I will add if I can

Tripping on an earth fault could also prevent some deaths from fire. However as you say we'll never know. I was just trying to point out that the benefits of an RCD don't depend on someone getting an electric shock, a fact that is often not appreciated even among professionals.
Indeed - and, of course, in a TT installation RCDs are usually the only way of clearing an L-CPC fault which, if not cleared, could at some point result in a shock, be it fatal or not. As you say, a lot of people seem to focus on the role of RCDs when people do receive shocks, and overlook the 'prophylactic' role. Having said that, I wonder how common it is (in a TN installation) to get an L-E fault of sufficiently low impedance to result in a lethal shock, but of a sufficiently high impedance not to cause an OPD to operate? I would suspect that's probably pretty rare.

Given what they do, I would say that it probably is inevitable that RCDs have 'saved lives', or eventually will 'save lives' (domestically), but whether at the rate of one every year or three or one life every 50 or 100 years, I haven't got a clue, and can't see how anyone could.

Kind Regards, John

I'm willing to believe that they make a tiny, and possibly imperceptible, difference to the number of people killed by electric shock.
That's pretty much my view as well. Clearly they have the potential (no pun intended) to prevent an electrocution, so it would be illogical to say that over the years there can't be at least a few people who have been saved by them that way. But given the tiny numbers of annual fatalities from electrocution in the home in the U.K. anyway, a significant proportion of which would probably not have been helped by an RCD anyway, the number will be small. It certainly doesn't justify the "hype" which seems to have surrounded the supposed mass life-saving properties of the RCD in recent years.

With regard to the indirect prevention of electrocution by way of removing a dangerous potential from exposed metalwork before somebody can contact it and be electrocuted, I would imagine the figures are even less, assuming we're talking about an installation which would otherwise provide reasonably quick disconnection by way of normal fuses or circuit-breakers in the absence of an RCD, and not those cases where loop impedances would render such protection ineffective and thus necessitate the provision of an RCD (not necessarily 30mA) or the old voltage ELCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back