Do RCDs save lives

Do RCDs save lives in the case of electric shocks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
substitute "the person who created the part of the installation in question"!
Add "without giving any thought to the circuit design".
I thought that went without saying!
There is a third possibility John. Think about what the OCPD needs to operate...
If you're thinking about loop impedance, I'm not sure that is particularly relevant in this context. You previous said that the loop impedance was "too low [I presume you meant "too high" :) ] for the OPD to operate, but I presume you meant that it was too high for the magnetic part of an MCB to operate (i.e. so as to achieve, say, the 'disconnection times' required by BS7671). However, it is surely the case that the thermal part of an MCB (or a fuse) should operate before the cable comes to any harm (even if that takes some time), regardless of the loop impedance? If that were not the case, then such devices would be useless for 'overload' (as opposed to 'fault') protection, wouldn't they? After all, an OPD only "knows" what current is going through it, and for how long, and how that compares with what the cable can tolerate - it knows nothing about the impedances (or voltages) that are resulting in that current.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The Poll is flawed, RCD's along with RCBO's have the potential to save lives in certain cases under the right conditions, although that does not mean they always will.
Quite so. As I wrote very early on:
I don't know about others, but I would need more answer options before I could even contemplate responding to that question. RCDs clearly can/could "save lives", but whether they ever have done so is unknown, and is essentially impossible to ever know ...
... and then later ...
The "informed" answer I can give is that RCDs clearly have the potential to save lives - so, if it hasn't already happened, it will presumably happen eventually, even if we have to wait 50 or 100 years!

Kind Regards, John

You previous said that the loop impedance was "too low [I presume you meant "too high" :) ]
Yes, I did, sorry. I think I'd better not say any more until after the court hearing.:cautious:
Fair enough. However, FWIW I still think that, if its rating is appropriate for the cable, an OPD will give adequate protection to the cable regardless of how high the loop impedance is (as I said, that's why they can provide 'overload protection') - leaving us with just the two possibilities (if an RCD would/might have prevented the fires) I mentioned before!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's the schools' responsibility Eric, it's the parents'.
Oh no not another I blame the parents? My son and I were working in BT buildings and every time a BT guy complained he would say "I blame the parents" he would never bother telling them his parent was also his boss.

However the parents can only teach the children if they have the knowledge to impart. The fact that in my family tracing back to 1800's there were all engineers and before that master mariners does not mean every family has the same back-ground. The whole idea of schools is parents don't always have the skill required.

I would personally like to see a return to being able to leave school early when taking up a trade. To have my fathers 7 year apprenticeship today would make tradesman 25 year old before they are qualified and by 20 years old people are looking at starting a family and buying a home so we are reducing apprenticeship training to an all time low. Leaving school at 16 when apprenticeship deeds are signed would go a long way to ensuring we retain our skill base.

But even when my children went to school they were shown how to fit a plug. I remember it well as before that event I had shown them how to fit a plug and to select the appropriate fuse and this did not line up with how taught at school and my children decided to tell the teacher he was wrong which did not go down well.

I did manage to teach the children how to hold their tongue, but even this did not work, when told there were two types of transistor and asked if anyone knew what they were, my son answered Bi-polar and Field effect sir. Only to be told no it's NPN and PNP at which he burst out laughing. I had to explain to the teacher that NPN and PNP was a sub-division of Bi-polar only to get the comment well field effect must be something new. He saw my smile and asked what was funny so I did tell him the field effect was found first.

But the point is who teaches the teacher? I returned to college only 5 years ago to take some "A" levels. The book for physics showed a fluorescent lamp wiring diagram without the ballast? The starter would without question blow and either the lamp would fail to start or if it did start there would be no current control so it seems even the books are getting it wrong. Have the "A" level people never heard of proof reading books?

Have the "A" level people never heard of proof reading books?
It seems that sometimes even exam papers haven't been proof read. I remember reading a multiple-choice paper some years ago (I forget exactly which paper at which level, but radio/electronics related) and finding more than one question to which none of the provided answers was correct. I forget the actual questions now, but they weren't even the typical multiple-choice ones where one can often argue that more than one answer could be correct, or that one might be correct but only under certain circumstances, they were simple calculations - Ohm's Law, finding the resonant frequency of a tuned circuit, or something like that.

Have the "A" level people never heard of proof reading books?
It seems that sometimes even exam papers haven't been proof read.
Indeed, and it's not a new problem. Very many moons ago, my A-Level maths paper included two questions which, in terms of how they had been written, were impossible to answer. Only two or three of us had enough confidence (eventually!) to point this out to the invigilator.

Kind Regards, John

Wish I could say unusually, but sadly it is all too common, what is seems happens is the setters look at what level students should be at. However there are those which for what ever reason have in some areas exceeded the level expected. So one gets the find x question which students at one level will auto reply can't be found where others will use imaginary numbers to solve. It does not take much to ask for REAL answers rather than simply answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back