Do we need a gas certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had some pretty extensive work done on our house, including a new boiler, and the removal of a gas fireplace and aga. We have asked for certificates for the gas work but the project manager is telling us that we would only need gas certificates for work carried out if the property was letted?!?

This sounds wrong to me, as the work all had to comply to building regs, and typically if building regs are involved there is usually a certification process with it.

Can some one tell me, should I have certificates provided by the plumber for the new boiler installation, the gas termination of the fireplace, and the gas termination of the fireplace? And if so what documents would these be. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should have your boiler manual with the benchmark completed in the back, once its signed off you will get a notification from gas safe in the post..

We do gas certificates in work but they are for council houses/flats and they are all rented so dcds4 could well be right.

I've also worked for someone who was a lone worker for domestic properties of people who owned their house, and he never wrote out a gas sheet, just the commissioning certificate for whatever he was installing

The installation of a new boiler should be notified to building control generally through gas safe , how ever in many cases this is ignored & I will include my self in that , a while back when Corgi were running the notification scheme there was a disgraceful mis use of the information that we were obliged to supply to them , which resulted in a number of complaints to the imformation commisioner ! Corgi probably = gas safe eg there the same bunch of crooks ?

Providing the fella is an rgi , filled in your log book ? u can have a gas safety/ check certificate ect signed with all his details ect should suffice !

Sponsored Links
THe only item that should be notified is the new boiler it is up to the employer to make sure that the gas engineer holds the relevent qualifications for the work he is undertaking capping off pipe work and removal of redundant appliances whilst still has to be done by a qualified & registered person does not have to be notified you may find that as building control are already involved the boiler will be included in the final inspection provided the blue "Benchmark" book has been fully completed! ;)

After a Gas Safe registered engineer has fitted or serviced your gas appliance, they will often leave you with a report which explains what checks they did. This report may be issued as a gas safety record, sometimes referred to as a gas safety certificate depending on the job you have asked them to do. It isn’t always a legal requirement for your engineer to give you this type of information, but many Gas Safe registered engineers will provide it or similar.

that is off the gas safe website :)
you dont have to thank me now lol

What a lot of unhelpful replies!

Only the new boiler is a notifiable activity.

The homeowner MUST ensure that it is notified to Building Control. Normally thats through the installer and often via Gas Safe.

All reputable installers accept that and do the notification.

Contractually it may be difficult to prove legally that it should be included but practically its a very poor installer who refuses to do it and he would probably lose the argument if you took it to court.

Tony

just to add the installer normally sneds the forms off and you get them in the post in a few weeks but according to building standards you should inform the coucil building control department before even fitting a new boiler ( nobody seems to do this) i know this is trust as friend works for building control. so if you contracted them they would have record of the certifcate if not hes not bothered doing it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back