Do we need obliterating paint or a different type of paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have both the kitchen & the hallway white ceilings to repaint after both were left stained & water marked (greyish to pale brown stains in colour) in areas due to a leak from the bathroom above.
The kitchen ceiling was newly replaced a year ago & we aren't sure what type of paint the decorator used. He has now retired & has moved to another area therefore we've not been able to contact him. However we've been advised that he probably used obliterating emulsion. Should we buy this type of paint or is there some other suitable paint to cover up the water stained kitchen once from new painted? The hallway ceiling is artexed & this was new & not painted when the water damage occurred so would this need the same treatment as the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Hi Siggy,

To cover up the old water stain use an oil based undercoat, once cured(3-4 days) you can recoat in whatever finish you want.

The reason you need an oil based paint on the stain is because the stain will bleed through a water based emulsion, so you need to block it by using the solvent based product
may i recomend Johnstones proffesional (trade) undercoat

Hope this helps :D

Thank you for the very swift advice. We're going to buy the Johnstone's undercoat tomorrowas & once we've completed both ceilings we'll pop back in to hopefully let you know our ceilings are looking white & wonderful. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Obliterating paint is used to get a drastic colour change i.e. from black up to white.
Agree with undercoat advice ( my way of working from a lad) but make sure you thin down that undercoat with white spirit before applying to BARE artex. I normally thin anyhow as only a thin barrier is needed to seal back the water stain on any surface and, as its thinner it dries quicker and normally where i touch in the stains with undercoat i can emulsion the next day. Or, use a stain blocker.. (pricey).. in any event though the bare artex should have a thincoat of emulsion (mistcoat) after touching in the stained area's then a slightly thicker coat of emulsion.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back