Do YOU have a boiler in a cupboard?

Sponsored Links
But I always do - including taking the boiler off the wall and putting it on a towel on the dining table ready for him to do his bit. Dangerous? Not at all - I do the carrot trick of bunging up the gas pipe :)

And YES we will need to get to the gas meter so get your junk out of there too...

Sponsored Links
And if you are calling regarding blocked drains, please remove the conservatory/shed/patio/gravel/lawn/flower bed/whatever else (delete as applicable) you have put over the manhole cover..... :rolleyes:

I don't bother with any of this nonsense. If a customer shows me a boiler or a piece of equipment in a full cupboard I just launch the lot out into the room and stand on whatever I can't be arsed moving. I figure the stuff isn't important if it's not been moved.

My favourite was the woman with the cupboard full of shoes lying about the floor in a random fashion, lord knows how many heels were snapped off as I changed a CDi diaphragm while standing all over them. :evil:

And what was the most interesting find. A mate of mine told me that he found a huge rusted out keyring with 50 keys on it, a rotten book out of which fell 800 quid in very worn notes, and...an old rifle. They were all in a space betwee.n the cupboard ceiling which was removable and the attic floorboard. Since the occupier clearly saw that he was tearing and ripping his way to get to some pipes, and didnt become alarmed of this, he assumed he was unaware of that little stash. He banked in some good money my mate that week.

Can I add to that emptying the cupboard under the sink when someones coming round to change the kitchen tap.

Had precisely this situation couple of weeks ago. Customer knew well in advance I would be working under their sink. Turned up, and had to remove about four grand's worth of cleaning products from sink cupboards before I could begin. Had to go back a week later, but forgot to ask them to make sure cupboard was cleared. Had to do it all again myself.

Still, if the customer's happy to pay me to move cleaning stuff for 15 mins, that's up to them.

Mate was killed in a towel avalanche accident in someone's airing cupboard a few years ago. ;)

My favourite is walking back the washing machine into position after some one has washed and spun dry bed pillow on 1200 spin. :rolleyes:

I got caught out today, BIG TIME!

I made 2 mistakes...

1. I imagined, because the engineer who booked the job for me was older, he was therefore wiser, and when he said "its the plate-to-plate heat exchanger..." it was going to be.

2. Not clearing the cupboard fully.

These both led to me changing a plate-to-plate, without first checking myself.

AND it led to me NOT noticing the SECOND Filling Link someone had 'conveniently' left there. Turned on FULL. Causing my pressure to rise to 2.5bar without me touching anything but the Cold Mains....

WTF!?!?!?!

and if your gas man has to change a 3 port in an airing cudboard which is in the bedroom, cover up your lovers bollocks (with a jiffy on the floor) who is sleeping a hangover off. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back