Do you have a Sime Format C boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Safety Alert has been published to highlight a possible safety issue with the Sime “Format C” boilers, models 80C, 100C and 110C.

A small number of these boilers (less than 1%) have malfunctioned due to a faulty printed circuit board. This has resulted in severe overheating of the appliance.

The advice is that the boiler should not be used until a manufacturer supplied safety kit is fitted.

This safety kit comprises of a manual reset overheat thermostat, securing spring and necessary electrical connection components Part No. 8089851.

Your gas registered engineer or insurance based cover provider should be able to deal with this for you.

Sponsored Links
I note the safety alert states that the kit can be supplied free of charge, how helpful. Do they also pay you for fitting them, I wonder?

I very much doubt it!

Also nothing on the Sime site about it!

I note the safety alert states that the kit can be supplied free of charge, how helpful. Do they also pay you for fitting them, I wonder?

Action to take
It is not possible to prevent the failure of the printed circuit board.

Registered engineers are able to obtain the safety kit on a free of charge basis by contacting Sime Ltd on 0845 901 1114.

Well its unlikely to effect us but I wonder if the PCB is going to available free too as it looks like they have already acknowledged it is going to fail

Matt

Sponsored Links
From my reading of the bulletin you can get sime to send an agent to upgrade it. Let them sort out their own mess!

From my reading of the bulletin you can get sime to send an agent to upgrade it. Let them sort out their own mess!

SAFETY ALERT 011 - 31 May 2013

Sime Boilers - Potential printed circuit board failure

IMPORTANT SAFETY ALERT

Dear Registered Engineer,

This Safety Alert has been published to highlight a possible safety issue with the Sime “Format C” boilers, models 80C, 100C and 110C. A small number of these boilers (less than 1%) have malfunctioned due to a faulty printed circuit board. This has resulted in severe overheating of the appliance.

Background
Gas Safe registered engineers that encounter any of these boilers that are not already modified, should advise their customers immediately that the boiler should not be used until a manufacturer supplied safety kit is fitted.

The safety kit comprises of a manual reset overheat thermostat, securing spring and necessary electrical connection components Part No. 8089851. For reference safety kit installation instructions can be read here.

Action to take

Registered engineers are able to obtain the safety kit on a free of charge basis by contacting Sime Ltd on 0845 901 1114.

Further information
Contact Sime Ltd on 0845 901 1114 for further information regarding this issue.

Not from my reading of it

That's just the email, if you look up the actual safety bulletin it says in there, dunno if you are GSR but we can inform sime and request a call from them.
Edited to say its Safety alert 011 and it also has instructions for fitting/ wiring

SAFETY ALERT 011 - 31 May 2013

Sime Boilers - Potential printed circuit board failure

I would argue that the PCB and consequently the boiler, was not of merchantable quality and therefore not fit for purpose.

Sime should bear the full cost of rectifying the fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back