Dodgy boiler and British Gas one-off repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Potterton Suprima 40 boiler (about 7 years old and put in new as part of new house build) which keeps tripping/locking out. We just get a flashing red light and have to hit the reset button to sort it out. This has been happening for a while but recently it has got worse - it has to be done 2 or 3 times a day and it is getting quite annoying (and quite cold in the house :( ).

We are not on any kind of monthly contract and am too cold to go on one and wait to make a call out so I was thinking of using the British Gas service where the do a fix for a one-off fee (£168 in our case) and I was just wondering whether anyone else has used this service and whether it was any good?

Thanks for the help,

D

Sponsored Links
Since buying the new PCB is about £160 this is one situation where the BG service is cheaper than any independent can offer!

Tony

Does it sound like it is the PCB that is the problem? I seem to remember reading a little while ago that this model of boiler may be known to have a problem - would this affect them coming to look at it?

Thanks.

Its usualy the pcb causing you problems on these boilers.

British Gas will happily take this job on, we send these types of parts back on warrantee to baxi/potterton

Sponsored Links
I would say thats a fair shout if potterton are (were) replacing them for free. On that same tack potterton may be your best first point of call.

they cant, hes talking a**e.

I send them back on warrantee, always have done. We got told to fire back all suprima boards as warrantee.

that doesnt mean BG get the part price back under warranty though does it?

you sending it back doesnt mean its accepted. it means it goes into a big bin and its up to the manufacturer to prove its not under warranty. even though they may want to keep BG happy taking back a 7 year old pcb under a warranty claim is highly unlikely.

Thanks for all the answers guys. Annoyingly the boiler stayed on all night last night for the first time in ages, although when I got home this evening it was off and I had to do the reset again. So, the British Gas on off fix is worht it then?

they cant, hes talking a**e.

I send them back on warrantee, always have done. We got told to fire back all suprima boards as warrantee.

that doesnt mean BG get the part price back under warranty though does it?

you sending it back doesnt mean its accepted. it means it goes into a big bin and its up to the manufacturer to prove its not under warranty. even though they may want to keep BG happy taking back a 7 year old pcb under a warranty claim is highly unlikely.

True its not up to us what is accepted as warranty but thats the directive we were given on our patch.

we send all our PCBs back to warehouse under warrenty what they do with them god only knows

yeh after they send them out to us a few times first :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back