dodgy wiring?

Ah. then what you suggest sounds likely.

As I said above, you will have to disconnect sockets and determine which cable goes where.

If it is a ring connected to a spur, at least one of the sockets must have three cables to it.

Sponsored Links
see im thinking to have somone in to do a periodic or just have someone to rewire the sockets whats gonna be cheaper

see im thinking to have somone in to do a periodic or just have someone to rewire the sockets whats gonna be cheaper
If that socket circuit wiring is in the mess you're describing, then goodness knows what else is going on in the electrical installation as a whole, so I would think it would be very sensible to have an EICR (what used to be called a 'periodic', PIR) undertaken. The cost of that is likely to be pretty insignificant compared with re-wiring costs, and if the same person did both, then maybe at least part of the EICR charge would be 'absorbed'.

Kind Regards, John

A periodic (Electrical Installation Condition Report now) won't find the fault but just tell you what you already know.

If you want an EICR on the rest of the installation, that's up to you or your friend.

If you mean rewire the sockets properly with the cable that is already there and perhaps a bit of additional wiring if needed, I wouldn't think that would cost too much.

The fault should be found and made safe.

Sponsored Links
It depends on exactly how the wires are connected.

The danger is you probably have single 2.5mm² with a maximum current carrying capacity of 27A (less if installed in thermal insulation or conduit) on a 32A mcb which could lead to overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back