dodgy Worcester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Hope someone can suggest what might be wrong with my 6 year old Worcester combi 24i.

Sometimes when I turn hot taps on I need to turn them off then on again to get the water to run hot, maybe I should get that sorted but I haven't and I mention it as I don't know if it might have something to do with today's problem.

This morning I noticed the boiler was ticking quite loudly. It was off as I don't have the heating on in the morning. I thought nothing of it but when I got home tonight the radiators were cold. I switched the boiler off at the wall for a few seconds then switched it on again and the boiler fired and the radiators are now hot. Unfortunately I can't remember if the boiler was still ticking when I came in.

Any ideas, and should I get someone in (brilliant timing eh, just before Xmas...)

Thanks very much for any input.

Sponsored Links
It seems that you are content to ignore some faults.

In that case I dont expect that you are going to bother to get it checked before Christmas.

Tony

Not sure I get your point and why the possibility of my waiting til after Xmas prevents your giving advice. Ok, I've ignored one fault cos it's hardly a big deal, turning the tap on and off again sorts the problem.

My reluctance to get it investigated is partly due to this, partly due to my parlous financial state, and partly due to umpteen lousy experiences with British Gas engineers and not great ones with the guys that fitted the boiler and upgraded the radiators.

It makes me wary. But if it's a choice between biting the bullet and getting someone in, and a real likelihood of having no heating and hot water over Xmas it's a no brainer.

So, any suggestions as to what the problem might be and whether boiler demise is imminent?

There evidently was a problem.

Whatever it was its now working. That makes it more difficult for anyone to see what the problem was.

Its unlikely you can get BG in before Xmas anyway so you are either going to take a risk or get an independent.

We are available at any time over the holiday period but only cover the SE area and sometimes the Midlands!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, it's now clicked off for the night and it's ticking so yes, I assume the problem remains and the heating won't come on tomorrow night. I'll phone Worcester in the morning to see if they can give me an idea what the problem might be so I don't sound like a total clueless female when I get someone in.

I will phone a firm a colleague recommended; British Gas / Scottish Gas I would no longer touch with a very long bargepole and I'm a wee bitty north of the Midlands!!

You could always turn it back on manually to see if it does come on!

You might be surprised.

A "ticking" noise is traditionally the sound of a spark generator. perhaps unlikely in your case.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back