Does all engineered look like laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the early stages of planning for a wooden floor in my lounge which is 5.5m square

My house is 15 years old and the existing floor finish is screed on DPM on suspended beam and block, and I am confident there is no dampness.

My preferred method would be to lay a floating floor which has steered me towards using engineered boards

However although I haven't yet been to many outlets what I have seen so far is not appealing. The solid wood looks like wood and is just what I want but the engineered wood all seem to be lacquer finished and just looks like laminate!

Is it just that I haven't been to the right places yet or do I have to go for solid wood fixed to ply (or similar)?

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Roofer said:
I
However although I haven't yet been to many outlets what I have seen so far is not appealing. The solid wood looks like wood and is just what I want but the engineered wood all seem to be lacquer finished and just looks like laminate!

Is it just that I haven't been to the right places yet or do I have to go for solid wood fixed to ply (or similar)?
I'm sure haven't been to the right places ;) We have wood-engineered (oiled BTW) even on the floor of our showroom that still evertytime amazes people that it isn't solid: once down it looks the same product.

interiorshop250.JPG

It could also be that the engineered you saw didn't had bevelled edges versus solid floors normally having them. Or you have been shown higher grades of Oak.

It's the oiled finish that I'm after but all I've seen in the engineered is lacquered

I need to get out more

WoodYouLike would you like to PM some prices?

It's best to send us an email (see my profile). You can also ask many other specific questions then.
Mind you, will answer them tomorrow - off to the pub for a well deserved pint!

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it helps at all, but I have done most of my house using some really cheap (well comparitively!) stuff from Ikea- I think it's called Tundra. I was in exactly the same position as you- I didn't want the laminate floor look, and decided engineered wood was the way to go.

Obviously if you have more money to spend you might be after a higher quality product- maybe a thicker top layer of wood- but I am delighted with it.

You can get unfinished engineered oak flooring, so if you cannot find anything you like pre-finished, you can finish it yourself (if you dont mind the hassle!). It looks exactly like solid wood but there are all the advantages of engineered oak. Let me know if you want a sample to have a look

Hope this helps

I'm sure after 3 years he/she would have found an excellent option by now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back