Does anyone remember?

I seem to remember being told the power and light had a different tariff in early days and using the lighting supply was cheaper.
That might well have been the public perception, but obviously was not true of domestic intsallations - which were so crude that one was 'lucky' to have a single, simple, meter :) I think the main reason for use of these 'lampholder adapters' was the serious paucity of power sockets. One per room (and not all rooms) was the norm at one point.

Do you remember houses looking like this?
Tell me that's not a wooden laptop behind the radio :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I am only 29 myself but I knew these things existed before I saw the one in my grandpas garage, but then I am obsessed with electrical fittings. The first thing I do when I walk into the house is look up at the ceiling.

I found one of these things when clearing out my uncles old shed and it's in the loft being used to power two 60w bulbs instead of one :p

Sponsored Links
Age is good. Age brings maturity and experience.

Bernard 60+ but still 30 or less in mind and spirit.

Hmmm. I was born in '66, and Mrs Secure says I'm stuck in 1977, aged 11. Is that a good thing??

Things I remember from 1977, without the aid of the interwebby.

In 1977, Apple released the Apple II computer, which I used extensively from 77-83.

Concorde's first regular flight from London to NYC (?).

Tenerife Jumbo crash.

Star Wars on general release.

Silver Jubilee.

"Rumours" released.

Porsche 928 debut.

Marc Bolan, Elvis Presley, Charlie Chaplin & Bing Crosby die.

If my memory serves me correctly, Jack Carter (Michael Caine) used his electric shaver plugged into the ceiling light bulb holder in one scene near the start of Get Carter. Circa 1971! :LOL:

Found this on a job a couple of years ago. Unfortunately there is no date on it, but the telephone number for my local YEB office is only 3 digits long!

a5e45aa1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back