Does FENSA cover newly created window re building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find out whether FENSA applies to newly created apertures (in the weight-bearing side wall of the house). On their website they say it's a replacement window scheme, and my new window isn't a replacement., it's totally new.

The builders say I don't need to apply for building regs consent myself, presumably on the basis of their FENSA registration. I can't find them on the Competent Person Scheme, by the way, so they don't qualify by that route.

I would like to find out the position asap, as the work isn't quite completed and now would be the ideal time to get the Building Inspector to pop out and look, before it's all plastered over, if their FENSA registration doesn't cover the situation.

(Incidentally, because of the particular position the window is in, planning permission isn't needed.)

Sponsored Links
As Freddie said. The competent person scheme using FENSA only covers the actual window, so they can self certify the U value, need for safety glass etc.

It will not cover a new structural opening or any structural alterations to an existing window opening.

As Freddie said. The competent person scheme using FENSA only covers the actual window, so they can self certify the U value, need for safety glass etc.
AFAIK Fensa does not cover anything with respect to new build - the window or the opening. They just supply the spec sheet for the window for BC to glance at if he's that bothered.

Sponsored Links
The builders say I don't need to apply for building regs consent myself, presumably on the basis of their FENSA registration

They are wrong - either out of negligence or deceit.

The forming of the opening, means of support of the wall above and damp/weather proofing and air tightness, is controlled work and will require an application for building regulations approval. The window replacement schemes only cover the frame fitting, and there is no self certification scheme for the structural work.

I would get that firm to pay for the application, and be responsible for the work complying. And make sure you get a completion certificate from the council for the work (with its own reference number), and not just a copy of the FENSA certificate.

If the house is listed.
If the original planning permission restricted new windows.
If the proposed new window is on an upper floor, side elevation, clear glazed and lower than 1.7m above FL.
If the house resides in an area which has had restrictions applied because of an Article 4 Direction.
I expect there are others.

Everything needs Planning Permission when PD rights do not allow it. Have you taken one of Woody's stupid pills?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back