What does FENSA actually cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some confusion here when I ask this question to people. Does a FENSA certificate simply only cover self declaration of window installs so that you dont need building regs or does it actually cover the warranty of a window / bi-fold / patio door / roof lantern for issues that might arise and the glazing firm going bust within the 10 years warranty? Will another FENSA firm take over the guarantee and cover the cost of any replacement units?

Short of any insurance backed guarantee, what protection do I have for a unit failing within the 10 year mark if the firm is no longer in business?

Sponsored Links
Some confusion here when I ask this question to people. Does a FENSA certificate simply only cover self declaration of window installs so that you dont need building regs

As above, you've answered your question.

From April 2002 installer has to offer to provide an insurance backed guarantee, these are usually provided as a complete package from whichever self cert scheme the installer happens to be with, either FENSA or certass. In the event of the installer ceasing to trade and in the event of a problem arising with the installation you will need to contact the insurer detailed on your paperwork which would of been sent to you after the install was registered, they will appoint a repair contractor, they will assess the problem i.e. nature of fault, what rhe cause was and make recommendations to the insurer on how to fix the fault, the contractor DOES NOT decide whether it's covered or not and does not have policy T&C''s, that's upto the insurer, the installer provides a copy of his own guarantee to the insurer, they just mirror it when the installer ceases to trade

And this is largely the accepted view is it? When I spoke to Fensa directly a few weeks ago they said that they don't guarantee or provide insurance on an installer's Windows and that they are just a registration body and that it upto the firm to have its own insurance backed guarantee.

Fensa don't guarantee anything they're just the registration body but being a member I assumed they would have a 'preferred supplier' of insurance.............maybe they don't?

The group I work for is certass and as such they provide insurance and other things as a package with negotiated rates for members, certass use an insurer called QANW for the guarantees

I wrongly assumed fensa did the same, maybe that's why a lot of installers are switching to certass?

Sponsored Links
And this is largely the accepted view is it? When I spoke to Fensa directly a few weeks ago they said that they don't guarantee or provide insurance on an installer's Windows and that they are just a registration body and that it upto the firm to have its own insurance backed guarantee.

Yes ... this is exactly right , neither Fensa or Certass guarantee or provide insurance , they are a self certification route to building regulation compliance. As Crank says from April 2002 Installers had to offer ( they didn't have to supply it ) an insurance backed guarantee , if a member of Fensa. I beleive earlier this year , or was it latter part of last year , ALL installers registered with either Fensa or Certass had to provide an Insurance backed warranty.
And please don't think its a simple case of registering with these bodies and being able to self certificate ...you also have something called the MTC card , which at least one fitter should be carrying, and which they have taken a test and had a window installation observed by either a Fensa or Certass representative ( depending on who the installer is registered with ), and on top of that , Fensa/Certass require to inteview each company , inspect a percentage of installations , check wording of contracts used and ensure Public Liability and employers Liability ( where necessary ) Insurances are in place for minimum values.

And going back to what happens if the company goes out of business and a failed sealed unit within 10 years, providing you have the Insurance backed warranty , you are covered for exactly the same as the original companies warranty, but another company will do the work. We have done several jobs in such circumstances , as I am sure Crank has to.

Because of the size of the renovation project I am undertaking I told my private building regs inspector to also cover the installation of the new windows which are going in now, and he has agreed to do that without additional charge. I guess then the FENSA thing is irrelevant for me here from the perspective of checking of minimum quality as he will do that, I just now need to ensure that the fitter (whose brother owns the Fensa registered firm) will provide me with an insurance backed warranty, if like you are saying, it is part of the Fensa requirement. Is there an incremental cost to a Fensa firm to give each client a warranty certificate or something i.e. a cost per job to register the insurance / Fensa backing?

The relationship I have with the fitter is a fairly loose one as my parents have used him 15 years ago to fit their windows, so I'm paying him as the job goes (not all windows are being fitted at the same time) and whilst I have asked for a proper contract with T&Cs, he's annoyingly too casual about it.

The fitter can't provide you with an IBG unless he is fensa, if he is using his brothers fensa registered company for the sign off and IBG then really his brother needs to be on site to ensure the install meets regs, further to that as Ronnie points out at least one fitter in the fitting team HAS TO HAVE the MTC card, ask to see it, if his brother holds it then he needs to be on site

This seems like the right place to post two questions.....
1) Should a FENSA member have drilled holes into the UPVC frames of my brand-new windows when re-installing shutters?
2) Would this invalidate any warranty - both with the fitter and FENSA?
My windows were replaced and then - without telling me - the workmen drilled screws into the frames when putting back my shutters.
They have verbally told me that this does not invalidate any warranty but have carefully not mentioned this when I requested it in writing - just that they would be happy to replace any new shutters 'free of charge'.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks

Fensa wouldn't care! so whether or not it is a Fensa member or not is irrelevant and Fensa don't offer any warranty , so no warranty to invalidate.

The only warranty that could possibly be invalidated is that with the installation company/person , and that you will need to get in writing from them. You need them to specifically answer the question as to whether this invalidates any warranty on the Upvc window or fitting , at this point you are really not interested about a warranty on the shutter ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back