Is this a joke? Heat shock glass.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after two sets of roof lanterns and two sets of patio doors 4m wide and 2.5m high.

One glazing firm said that they could not guarantee the glass after install because there is always a slight risk that glass can naturally break. Some companies offer heat shock tested glass.

He also said it would be an insurance claim if it did happen. My questions are:

1. What is this about and why could it happen?

2. Why is this not covered by Fensa or one of the other bodies?

3. Should this not be the glazing firm's problems otherwise what point is there for a guarantee?

4. Is the glass more likely to break if it is laminated?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
1. It can be called a lot of things, thermal break, thermal stress or thermal shock, its real and they're not pulling your leg, this site explains it better than I could

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/explode.htm

2. FENSA and the other one CERTASS are only self certification schemes, they don't warranty anything, basically there to make sure the install meets regs and nothing else

3. Yes very much so

4. I should imagine there's no difference, the only saving grace with laminated is if it does break and it happens to be the inner pane in your conservatory roof then it ain't gonna fall on your head, it will crack but will stay there, just like a car windscreen

Last edited:
My wife's sister opened a glass door about 3m x 1m, suddenly exploded for no apparent reason, no injury, just a lot of sweeping up.

This is shocking. What is the failure rate of something like this?
Do people accept it or try and sue?

The glazing firm said they wont take responsibility after install if it breaks.

If a Mercedes owner's glass window broke one week after he bought the car, I know what he'd do.

Sponsored Links
Foxhole - That would have been toughened glass like the old Triplex windscreens.

My wife's sister opened a glass door about 3m x 1m, suddenly exploded for no apparent reason, no injury, just a lot of sweeping up.

Can happen, I've had countless units pop on me whilst just carrying them, OK when on the drive, not quite so good inside someone's living room, hoover up all you like you'll still be finding glass a year later

Who paid for the replacement and after how long after installation did this happen?

I have been to customers houses where a unit has gone 5 years after install. Tbh I think it is rare to the amount of installs per year but it can happen. If you want another quote send over the details

1. It can be called a lot of things, thermal break, thermal stress or thermal shock, its real and they're not pulling your leg, this site explains it better than I could

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/explode.htm

2. FENSA and the other one CERTASS are only self certification schemes, they don't warranty anything, basically there to make sure the install meets regs and nothing else

3. Yes very much so

4. I should imagine there's no difference, the only saving grace with laminated is if it does break and it happens to be the inner pane in your conservatory roof then it ain't gonna fall on your head, it will crack but will stay there, just like a car windscreen

3. To what extent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back