Does my neighbour's tent require planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour has erected a large white tent in his garden; it has plastic windows and a large awning and a pitched style "roof"; its almost like a mini marquee;it has been erected next to his exterior fence which is the boundary to a highway / side road; the tent is visible above the fence and the fence is three metres high.

The tent has been there for over two months and he uses it to store a large number of tables and chairs which he uses in his catering business. Its very unsightly and clearly being used for business purposes only. Should he have requested planning permission?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that a tent is a temporary structure so would not require permission, however there may be restrictions in the lease / freehold about what businesses can be carried on from the premises.

My last house did not allow any engineering works to be carried on from the property.

For some reason there was a restriction on teachers carrying on their business at my daughters old home!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back