Does the HRA apply in Germany?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This German pool is banning migrant men. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35326090

Another sports centre is doing something similar.

Try that here, and there will be a claim going in before anyone can say "Hands off".

So why can Germany ban certain groups when they should be applying the same EU rules that all too often ties our hands?

Sponsored Links
This German pool is banning migrant men. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35326090

Another sports centre is doing something similar.

Try that here, and there will be a claim going in before anyone can say "Hands off".

So why can Germany ban certain groups when they should be applying the same EU rules that all too often ties our hands?
It is unclear how this rule will be enforced
I (we?) await further developments.

It really does strike me that there appears to be a concerted effort to upset the German welcome of migrants.

Just a hunch. I'll look up the reference to ex-Ba'athists army commanders joining daesh to understand the tactical advantage potential for daesh to gain advantage over conventional national military forces and possibly to affect public opinion. TBC.

Sponsored Links
Well, we all know our European neighbours ignore they're own EU legislation when they see some benefit to themselves. (the same legislation they use to come down on the UK like a ton of bricks for the merest infringement)

Cue the hand wringers saying we should do as the EU dictates we should do)

Not the quote I was looking for but perhaps it will serve:
The Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and Syria ...... but it relies on complex networks led by former Iraqi Baathist officers to operate and control its so-called caliphate. Baathist leadership in IS, most recently noted in Christoph Reuter’s riveting article in Spiegel International, reinforces the political nature of IS and its Sunni Arab, Iraqi nationalist roots.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...s-behind-the-islamic-state.html#ixzz3xMDpdW62
I'm just suggesting that daesh might be using the propaganda and media better than we are. Perhaps they are attacking our values in ways that we have not foreseen and they know that we may fall right into their carefully orchestrated pit. (pun intended)
That's why I think we should not take a knee-jerk reaction.
Edited in bold!

Last edited:
if they dont know how they will uphold it then either the ban hasn't been applied or it hasn't been challenged or enforced yet
the statement "A German town has banned male asylum seekers"
may mean 2 people 10 people or many more it doesnt seem to state how many

Last edited:
Well, we all know our European neighbours ignore they're own EU legislation when they see some benefit to themselves. (the same legislation they use to come down on the UK like a ton of bricks for the merest infringement)

Cue the hand wringers saying we should do as the EU dictates we should do)
A nonsensical post from an anti-European.

I suppose you might think it is not nonsense if you have convinced yourself:
- the British are honest, decent, law-abiding people
- all foreigners are slimy deceitful crooks
- European laws are not made by representatives of the citizens and governments of the member nations, of which the UK is a major member, but by some group of evil goblins whose only aim is to penalise rosy-cheeked Brits.

If possible, can replies concentrate on the question.
Come'on Woody, that's like saying "planning permission does not apply, please agree with me otherwise I'm off."

No. The reasons behind the migrant issue has been done to death.

I'm curious how this or any German business can implement such a ban. And if it's possible to ban a whole group of people to deal with a known problem - perhaps it's a permissible form of positive discrimination?

I'm sure that France, deported many Roma's (contrary to EU law) and nothing was said. Germany (some years ago) used to deny German citizenship to the offspring of Turkish immigrants , born within it's borders. Even as I type, Germany is deporting many,"failed asylum seekers" back to their countries.. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/germany-an...ass-deportation-failed-asylum-seekers-1537701
I do wonder what would happen if the UK government tried to do this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...convictions-for-illegal-entry-to-Britain.html Hmmmmm could this be a case of double standards, or are we the only country in Europe willing to put up with (and encourage) failed asylum seekers??

I just know your going to say that German Laws are so much different from ours now ;);)

If possible, can replies concentrate on the question.
Come'on Woody, that's like saying "planning permission does not apply, please agree with me otherwise I'm off."

No. The reasons behind the migrant issue has been done to death.

I'm curious how this or any German business can implement such a ban. And if it's possible to ban a whole group of people to deal with a known problem - perhaps it's a permissible form of positive discrimination?
It's early days, but you jumped on it rapidly. Let's wait and see what transpires. I thought Big All's response was sensible.

Does the HRA apply in Germany?

No, because the HRA is part of British law.

No doubt there is some similar law in Germany.

In most cases such disputes can be resolved within the country concerned.

In the same way that Britain has at times been found to be failing in its commitment to the former European Convention on Human Rights (this is, BTW, not an EU law, contrary to jockscott's foolish mistake), no doubt anyone aggrieved by the matters reported can first resort to German law, and if necessary, to the ECHR in Strasbourg.

I do notice that the report says "men from a nearby asylum shelter" and not "migrant men" as Woody said.

Well, we all know our European neighbours ignore they're own EU legislation

I agree with that.

One of the reasons for the UK to remain in the EU is the respect we get for implementing law and individual rights, and the influence we apply for others to do the same. This encourages other countries to do the same. It is said that if we leave, other countries will be much less inclined to apply or aspire to our standards.

It does annoy me when we seem to be the only ones applying the rules that all should follow - more often than not to our disadvantage.

Sponsored Links
Back