Does this lead look right…is there an easyish fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Am really fed up.
Could do with advice a professional.
Had a roofer in to do lead re flashing around a bit of an extension and it looks wrong to me.
He assures me its correct ,but amnot convinced.
can anyone advise me please ?
right hand side is before/ left hand side is after.
The cut seems different, there seems to be a gappy bit half way down…or is it fine?

Thanks all
IMG_2175.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
now this is before…more shark toothy
IMG_2176.png

Last edited:
several duplicate posts below. Sorry!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What did he dress it with? A claw hammer? It's shoddy work but will likely weather. His lap looks rubbish as does the bottom (eaves) chase, as it should have had another chased-in course. The return cut-back, would have looked better more acute. The only plus to this is that it gives a deeper 'water-line' weathering aspect.

Thankyou so much for this,I knew instinctively it looked wrong, I wanted to cry when i saw it.
if by dressing you mean making the cuts, i think he did it with a knife on the floor.
The end bit you mention, he said he‘d curled it up away from the wall so it goes into the gutter)if that is the bit you mean.
Fortunately the other side isnt so visible.
If i have him back to redo, will he have to use mortar and all that stuff again?
and is there an easyish fix to this please?
Thank you

If i have him back to redo,
There are two distinct questionable weathering points. The lap joint is awful and the very bottom of the lead should have been chased in to another course of brick. Get him back on this basis and state that you are not happy with the horrendous scarring from his dressing of the lead as well as his cut-back angle.

Thankyou. Is the ‘dressing of the lead‘ where its sort of battered in? Or is the dressing the cut…i want to sound like i know what i am talking about!

Is the ‘dressing of the lead‘ where its sort of battered

If the lead isn’t flat enough, just drive over it a few times with yer van, works best on rough tarmac.

The secret to working lead is: buy a roll that’s not squashed or been dropped on its end, then unroll very carefully, avoiding making any kinks or bends. Do the tooth cuts, bend those and keep the lead as flat as possible - carry it on a bit of ply to get it into position. Dont do any heavy dressing against face brickwork or the rough surface will telegraph through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back