Does this look OK to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just visiting a mates house today and noticed his CU ( sad I know).
There are RCBO's installed and the unused ways have MCB's installed but switched "off". should there be blanks installed or is this OK? This is rented accomodation.

Sponsored Links
That's all fine.

The unused mcbs are better than a lot of the blanks available - stops you poking your finger inside.

How does he know that they are unused, as opposed to being connected to circuits which apparently do nothing?

They clearly used to do something, as there used to be labels there. So either some major surgery was done to the installation, or this is a second-hand CU. Installed by who, I wonder?

Where's the split? (Is there a split?) Are any circuits on the RCD? If so, how is it wired, because originally that Wylex NHRS would have had the RCD part way along, at the end of the unprotected busbar, supplying MCBs to the left of it.

So no - it doesn't look right.

How does he know that they are unused, as opposed to being connected to circuits which apparently do nothing?

They clearly used to do something, as there used to be labels there. So either some major surgery was done to the installation, or this is a second-hand CU. Installed by who, I wonder?

Where's the split? (Is there a split?) Are any circuits on the RCD? If so, how is it wired, because originally that Wylex NHRS would have had the RCD part way along, at the end of the unprotected busbar, supplying MCBs to the left of it.

So no - it doesn't look right.

I was wondering about the split but of course with each circuit being on an RCBO there would be no split at all. Each RCBO doing its own thing !
Apparently all the cicuits in the house are accounted for ( labels ). Maybe as you suggest there has been alterations done since the CU was installed.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering about the split but of course with each circuit being on an RCBO there would be no split at all. Each RCBO doing its own thing.
Yes.

Plan B could be for me to look at the photo properly and see that they are RCBOs, not MCBs.

:oops:

looks fine, could be that the protective devices have been upgraded to rcbo's and just left the old mcb's in as blanks. with out seeing in the board in this picture there is no way in telling if the mcb's are connected.

Seems strange that the RCD is at the end. Never seen this on a wylex cu. Looks like it the cu was a main switch only as there are 14 numbered circuits.

A split load would number the ways separately. eg. 6/6

would be interesting to see inside.

Seems strange that the RCD is at the end. Never seen this on a wylex cu.
As far as we know it and the mcbs are not connected and just being used as blanks.
... and, given that it's now seemingly all RCBOs, maybe the RCD is also being used as a blank (which would perhaps explain its odd position)?

Kind Regards, John.

I did notice that all the MCB's and the RCD are switched off..
It just looked a bit odd..

Possibly an old board re-used for this place.

Looking inside is the only way to tell what's going on.

Seems strange that the RCD is at the end. Never seen this on a wylex cu.
As far as we know it and the mcbs are not connected and just being used as blanks.
... and, given that it's now seemingly all RCBOs, maybe the RCD is also being used as a blank (which would perhaps explain its odd position)?
Ah, I've just realised that's actually what you suggested. My brain didn't notice the "and", and so read it as "As far as we know (it), the mcbs ...." Apologies!

Kind Regards, John.

Possibly an old board re-used for this place.
I have to say that I've been known to deliberately install (currently) unused MCBs in a new board - they are better blanks than blanks, they may prove useful for future circuits and they exist as 'ready to hand' spares!

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like its a good un !

By the way, Wylex breakers are currently being sold at Screwfix for GBP 4.60 approx. each. including v.a.t. undercutting just about anybody else (remember wholesalers slap 20percent v.a.t. on top of their headline price!). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back