Does this quotation sound reasonable?

Sponsored Links
I don't hide it I just don't disclose it. To be quite honest about it on the 2 occasions that I have disclosed my labour charge to customers where I I was odds on to get the job and they were practically booking me up by checking out my dates assuring me the job was mine etc they have gone quiet on me. What on the face of it might seem a high rate does not take into account the things I have mentioned such as fuel to job, taxes,wear and tear on tools, materials, advertising, wages for others, insurances cost to actually go price up the job etc etc so nowdays I just don't disclose.

You comment about we would have to still find mortgage etc if we sat at home and watched JK is pretty flippant to be quite honest about it. Were here to make a living just the same as anyone else is, or perhaps you think skilled tradesmen should be charging £6.25/hour and anything else is taking the p*ss?

What is it you do btw?

not a roofer lad, just a wall and floor tiler, but my estimates go like this, go to the house, measure up, find out what tile they want to use and the size of tile, work out the materials and my labour, give them the price and also tell them I will post them a fully detailed estimate, they know what materials I will use, how much my labour charge is etc, BUT I always add, there could be unforeseen charges arising from any remedial work that needs doing that cannot be seen at present time,
meaning when I lift floorboars o replace floor, joists could be damaged etc.

but I hide absolutely nothing from a customer, if they accepy my price then good, if not, its their loss, nt mine as I don't struggle to find work

I renovate houses.

When I get my car fixed there is always a parts and labour entry on the invoice.

It should be LAW that this is done for every trade.

I do it - why don't you?

Oh and even a housewife has car tax and heating blah blah.

Sponsored Links
I renovate houses.

When I get my car fixed there is always a parts and labour entry on the invoice.

It should be LAW that this is done for every trade.

I do it - why don't you?

Oh and even a housewife has car tax and heating blah blah.

None of your business what I do really is it.

My origional reply was to the OP. He asked where the money went I think i've explained where the money goes. Lets leave it there before we go off topic.

It doesn't matter what business you are in you still need ALL of those things, it's immaterial what you spend your money on. However, the customer should have a materials and labour breakdown - or you are a crook hiding your exorbitant wage because you are ashamed of it.

It doesn't matter what business you are in you still need ALL of those things, it's immaterial what you spend your money on. However, the customer should have a materials and labour breakdown - or you are a crook hiding your exorbitant wage because you are ashamed of it.

Theres no legal requirement to provide a labour and material breakdown so the customer should not by law have a material and labour breakdown. If a customers asks for one you can provide one or not.

Crook???? Grow up pal

What a load of *******s!

So if I go to by a car they tell me how much the labour cost and materials are to make it?

Theres no legal requirement to provide a labour and material breakdown so the customer should not by law have a material and labour breakdown. If a customers asks for one you can provide one or not.

Crook???? Grow up pal

But there should to stop cowboy outfits fleecing people. It'll come before long.

Crook???? Grow up pal

But there should to stop cowboy outfits fleecing people. It'll come before long.

So by your reckoning when B&Q and Bathstore etc (im in the bathroom business) supply and fit customers bathrooms they should provide a profit markup in their quote?? or is it only self employed/small businesses that "fleece" customers according to your wisdom?

Of course they should provide a cost breakdown. Not all baths are the same quality or price - let the customer know what they are paying for. Why the secrecy?

and should they provide how much they source the baths for and what their mark up is on the bath?

They should give their hourly rate - just like a gas fitter does. Why are you hiding it? Are you a crook?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back