Dogs don’t like postmen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our postie, canny lad, suffered a dog bite in a village nearby. The delivery was to a private house. Apparently he has a badly damaged finger and is off work just now.
Hardly the reason that you go to work for.
Just wondering......what happens here?
Does he get automatic compensation? Are the dog owners fined or prosecuted? Can the Post Office refuse to deliver the mail?
Will he have to go for a private prosecution?
Have a good evening, everyone ( You too, Paul!)
John

Sponsored Links
I think they probably have a bunch of lawyers lined up to take out claims against the owners.

Home insurance may cover it, depending upon the policy.

I simply have a vestibule door so my dogs and postmen never meet (not that my dogs ever bite anyone).

It looks like there is some automatic compensation from Royal Mail, but only for loss of earnings, and it seems pretty limited. Looks like 13 weeks maximum.

If injured and off work sick as a result of a dog attack, benefits are available to members under the Royal Mail ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’. The scheme pays compensation amounting to the difference between full rate sick pay and an individual’s average weekly earnings over the previous 13 weeks prior to the dog attack incident.

This is paid out regardless of any personal injury litigation compensation which may be recovered by the Union solicitors acting for the member.

If he's in the union, their solicitors will get him compensation.
Home insurance of the dog owner will cover that.
If not insured, the dog owner will be out of pocket.

Sponsored Links
Back