Doh!....I guess you can't use Cat 6 RJ45 plugs for Cat 5e cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure this silly mistake of mine will amuse some of you; I am installing some networking stuff around my house including a few POE IP cams and a IP enabled intruder alarm what will use cat 5e cable, as well as some network points in some of the rooms that will use Cat 6 cable. All will go back to a 6U network cabinet.

Well I bought a bunch of CAT 6 RJ45/8P8C connectors :D assuming the reason they are rated for CAT 6 is because of the tighter electrical characteristics that CAT 6 uses :rolleyes::notworthy:, of course forgetting the real issue of that the cores of CAT 6 cable are thicker than of CAT 5e cable :oops: :rolleyes:and thus wider when all the cores are lined up as if they were to be inserted into a connector.

Of course I go and try and terminate a piece of Cat 5e cable in a Cat 6 connector and soon realize that something is not quite right. o_O:arrow::rolleyes: :(

Oh well, I guess it's back down to TLC for some CAT 5e RJ45/8P8C connectors as well then!

Sponsored Links
I've used the same 8P8C connectors on CAT6 and 5e with no issues, not sure which of the two standards the plugs were though

Well I bought a bunch of CAT 6 RJ45/8P8C connectors
Are they the right ones for solid cable - I'm assuming you're using solid cable. Not many people know that there are different plugs for solid and stranded cable.

And generally you shouldn't be fitting them on solid cable...

Sponsored Links
Well this is embarrassing :oops::!: I failed to notice that in the packet of connectors there was also a set of staggered inserts/loadbars. :notworthy::cry: No wonder I was having issues crimping the cable without using the load bars! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back