Doing work on own block of flats to save money

The (large, Victorian) house next to me was renovated and the seven flats sold. We know the couple that own the flat that semi-abuts our house quite well. There was originally a management company appointed by someone (the company that bought the freehold I think) and the leaseholders were not happy with the work or the costs and they took over management, which took some time & effort.

When my neighbour told me they were doing this, he said that once they had control they would draw up a set of 'rules' and get a firm to administer them. There were two main reasons for this.
- To make sure that everything was done by appropriate people & with insurance cover, as @JobAndKnock says.
- To avoid any leaseholders subsequently arguing that work did not need to be done, could be done cheaper (maybe by them), refusing to pay their share, etc.

If the appointed firm did not do a good job, then the leaseholders could get a new firm to take over.

Discussing some work they are having done a few months back I asked how the system was working. I was told that one of the flats had been sold and the new leaseholder was initially talking as if every decision was up for discussion but when it was made clear there was a fixed [1] set of rules they just accepted the situation. Also, one leaseholder had lost their job and wanted to withhold their maintenance payment, and it is the management firm that has to chase them. Avoiding any awkwardness / unpleasantness in the house.

1. Of course the rules could be changed by the leaseholders (unanimous or majority, I don't know), but as a collective decision not at one party's whim.

Sponsored Links
Cant you form your own management company?
Think it's written into lease (so I was told by another director but haven't read that myself) that we must have a management company.

Set up your own management company, do the easier jobs that you can tackle, get quotes for the rest. You need the agreement and backing of all of the residents though, before moving.

The main director guy has a handyman guy do lots of stuff and allegedly is cheap. Although I haven't checked the invoices. He invoices the management company for payment but we chose him. I personally want rid of management company completely- Foxes. And we do it all. I'm not sure how to work out how much they're costing by themselves aside from tradesman. I guess get hold of the yearly finances

I've got a couple of mates that work for a property management company. I wouldn't trust them to hang a picture on a wall. They only got the gig because one of them is the Brother in Law of the bloke that runs the management company. Worryingly, they claim to be the best two workers!
Exactly. Suspected it's a lot to do with mates and relations. Lots of the people that work in these companies have no hands on skills . They're just kids in suits. Total dead wood as I see it. The tradesman over price because often residents arent keeping tabs on what's being invoiced. They invoice the management company e.g. Foxes and the residents have no idea what the price was

Sponsored Links
I used to be Managing Director of a technology development company...

...but I was also the Chief Designer, Advertising Supremo, Receptionist, Mechanic and Tea Maker :sneaky:

I am a Director of the Limited Company (along with two other residents) which owns the Freehold of the flats where I live. It is written into the Articles of Assosciation that there shall be at least two Directors, who are re-appointed (or re-elected) at each AGM. If Managing Agents are appointed (i.e. a third party company to deal with the day to day administration) then they too must be re-appointed at each AGM. Read your lease and the Articles of Assosciation of the Management Company and you will be able to deduce what options you have. All documents you require are availabel from the Land Registry (for a fee!).

Set up your own management company, do the easier jobs that you can tackle, get quotes for the rest. You need the agreement and backing of all of the residents though, before moving.
What about just cracking on with small jobs without having a meeting? Just charging for materials. I'm sure the other director will be ok with it. Or speak to management company whether it's legal for myself to do so. Find out about the 3metre high cutting rule etc. Maybe just call them.

I am a Director of the Limited Company (along with two other residents) which owns the Freehold of the flats where I live. It is written into the Articles of Assosciation that there shall be at least two Directors, who are re-appointed (or re-elected) at each AGM. If Managing Agents are appointed (i.e. a third party company to deal with the day to day administration) then they too must be re-appointed at each AGM. Read your lease and the Articles of Assosciation of the Management Company and you will be able to deduce what options you have. All documents you require are availabel from the Land Registry (for a fee!).
I'll order it. But how about getting a tradesman to do a job I need doing. Do I have to run it through other directors. Doing little jobs etc. Maybe call Foxes and just ask

We've basically got three or four flat roofs which need changing. They're £16,000 each to change. The small little jobs by rip off tradesman need eliminating. Like propping a fence back for £500 etc and rip off fees from maintenance company. Due to insurance I'll call maintenance company and explain situation with small jobs and ask what's gonna happen if I just do stuff the gardener or handyman cant regarding insurance. If it comes to scenario of you're not covered but I perceive it as rubbish and an excuse to make money e.g. cutting above three metres from ground etc then I'll just do it myself . I'll ask him what will happen to me then decide whether to ignore it or not and just proceed. Wont tell him necessarily. I'm saving the blocks money so they should appreciate it.

I guess mention it to main director before so I can say he knew but I'm not bothering to put it to a vote. He wants to save money etc

Ultimately,money has to be saved and people are skint and the roofs need fixing so something gotta give.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back