Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a “Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report” carried out for a property that I intend to let out, unfortunately the safety check failed on some items so therefore the electrician marked the report as “Unsatisfactory”, which is totally understandable on my part.

However, the work listed on page 2 of 3 has all been carried out by another electrician (as it was cheaper to do so).

I contacted the initial electrician to say the work had been completed, he advised me to use some Tipex and change the word “unsatisfactory” to “satisfactory” on pages 1 and 2 as the report had already been signed on the first page to say all was good.

I’m a little confused so here are the questions:

Does the report need to be re-certified by the electrician?

Will this electrical report be valid if I simply use Tipex to take the “un” out of “unsatisfactory”?

Is the company who carried out this test allowed to this?

Or am I being over cautious and this is perfectly legitimate?

Teek

Sponsored Links
I would attach the new test certificate for the remedial works that you've had done to the PIR and then keep them together on file. Don't tipex anything out. You can also attached the Building Control Certificate when it arrives (assuming the works were notifiable)

As long as you get the certs for the repair work youve had done then you have no need to worry. as pensdown says just paper clip all your certs and PIR report together.

youve had all the work done as you should have-good lad. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies,

But i've paid this guy for the cert and now he tells me to use Tipex...... is this the correct manner in which a qualified electrician would carry out work?

Do you have any guidlines from the IEEE to help me? as i feel he maybe pulling a fast one because i never got him to do the extra work and he doesn't want to come over to write out a new cert for me.

Tipex on a cert will totally look fake and dubious...... not my cup of tea...... i like to do things from the book.

Teek

Sponsored Links
You say you paid for the initial PIR, did not want the tester to do the remedial work & now expect him to come back at no extra charge & re-test it all again for you. Would you? Or am I misunderstanding something here.

I agree. It would appear that you have paid for, and got, a PIR. That it highlighted some remedial work is not an issue.

You had the remedial work carried out by spark B, who would have provided the relevant paperwork for those works.

Now you put the two together, showing

a: the original report, including problems highlighted by it. Do not alter this paperwork.

b: the certs for the remedial work, showing that the installation is now 100%.

You cannot expect spark A to return to redo the PIR, especially as he did not do the remedials!!

If you want another PIR showing a healthy installation, then you'll have to pay for it.

PS It won't be money for old rope, because the spark will have to retest everything, given that another guy has altered things in the meantime.

I totally agree with you, but spark A told me that he would come back to sign it when the work was carried, even if the work was carried out by him or any other third party, but to my surprise the cert was already signed.

Unfortunately spark B didn’t give me any paper work, but spark A has to simply check the work has been done (5 mins max) i.e. the 10mm shower cable has been put into conduit, the existing earth cable to the gas and water main needs to be increased to 10mm, etc. Things like this shouldn’t effect the testing of the circuit (I know it does for safety reasons but not for the N & L load on the circuit).

Maybe I’ll just get another one done.

Teek

Teek said:
I totally agree with you, but spark A told me that he would come back to sign it when the work was carried, even if the work was carried out by him or any other third party, but to my surprise the cert was already signed.

Unfortunately spark B didn’t give me any paper work, but spark A has to simply check the work has been done (5 mins max) i.e. the 10mm shower cable has been put into conduit, the existing earth cable to the gas and water main needs to be increased to 10mm, etc. Things like this shouldn’t effect the testing of the circuit (I know it does for safety reasons but not for the N & L load on the circuit).

Maybe I’ll just get another one done.

Teek
Sorry but he cannot now sign off after somebody elses work without a complete re-test, I can only presume there has been a mis-understanding somewhere along the line & he is trying to save you money by telling you to use tippex, rightly or wrongly

altering the main bonding can alter the earth loop impedence readings slightly by altering the resistance of parallel earth paths, and the prospective fault/short circuit currents, sounds like sparky A doesn't want to come back, but only he can alter one of his certs

I was bored and started browsing............. it was new to me, I'd not read it before....................... :LOL:

see typical electrician thorough even if it is 2 years old he had to wrap it up or is it that he was really just bored

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back