Domestic Electrical Installer Course (18 days)

Sponsored Links
It took me four years working full time in the trade before I was ready to rewire a house on my own and even then I still had my tradesman calling in to check I hadn't done something daft.

There's no way you can possibly learn even 1% of what you need to know in 18 days.

On a side note, tradeskills4u are liars, cheats and criminals. I am banned from commenting on their Facebook posts for warning their potential victims sorry I mean clients of this.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply :)
Ok good point!!!! Just thought it could be an option for me to get a taste of the trade... Im too old for apprenticeship and hate the thought of going to college for the next 3-4 years.

Sponsored Links
I don't know mate, think the ones I looked at were aimed at 18-25, im 30 so not sure whats out there for me! Cheers

I don't know about this course in particular, but retraining usually welcomes the older person whose pockets may be bulging with a redundancy payment, or who may qualify for a student loan.

Well something to think about :idea:

I would only intend on doing electrical work part time or the odd job over the weekend, as I'm currently doing other things.
Quite willing to plod along doing simple tasks after completing the course. And then gradually build the experience towards more complicated work ie complete re-wires, which I intend to do on my own house.

tradeskills4u are liars, cheats and criminals.
If you have credible evidence of the latter then you should keep making a fuss, and become more and more vociferous and aggressive and widespread in your complaining until something is done, or until you force a public admission from the relevant people that they are not going to do anything about the criminal activity.

I am banned from commenting on their Facebook posts for warning their potential victims sorry I mean clients of this.
Just keep re-registering using different ID's

Do evening classes and day-release courses still exist?

I don't know mate, think the ones I looked at were aimed at 18-25, im 30 so not sure whats out there for me! Cheers

An aquaintance of mine was made redundant aged 32 from what was in effect a desk job, he was taken on as an apprentice mechanic and passed out sucessfully and now works ( age 40 + ) as a "hands on tools" manager of a vehicle repair company. It took him some time to locate that opportunity but when he did being mature ( older than 20 ) was an advantage in the selection process

My oldest apprentice was 36 when he started at the firm I worked for. It was brilliant having an apprentice that can get out of bed in a morning, really wants to learn, is polite to customers and can actually hold a conversation.

He's 10 years into the trade now and has his own company and an apprentice.

At thirty years old you're still a spring chicken.

You do need to get some exams under your belt and that 17th edition one is the first to take and by far the driest. Gawd it's boring stuff. It's "open book" though so you take all the answers into the room with you, you have to become an expert on using the index and knowing what page to find the answer on.

After that you have to use your brain.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for experience and to get that you have to follow a proper electrician around and do all the stuff his forty plus year old joints and muscles can no longer manage without requiring a week in bed to recover.

These get qualified quick courses are a massive con. Don't believe what they tell you. There's no way you could ever learn enough in 18 days to go out sparking. For starters a company wouldn't touch you.

My advice is if you're sure you want to follow that career path, try to get a job as a mate and enroll on a night course. Working as a mate you'll basically be like an apprentice, learning off qualified electricians as they work with you. Get your level 2 then level 3 NVQs in the evening and then you should have enough practical experience to complete the on site portfolio and finish off your training.

Be prepared for it to take 3-4 years of training and then a year or two on your own before you're fully up to speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back