Domestic Electrical Installer Course (18 days)

Some good advice here..
Definitely try and find a local business or one man band and offer to do some work for them, even for no pay to start with. It will teach you a LOT, and you will find out if it really is the career path for you. If you work hard and impress them - who knows, there could be a paid job there for you. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
When you start in any trade you will make cock ups. Some of them will be small and you'll learn from them and some of them will be massive.

The great thing about working for someone to start with is they will have the experience to put your cock up right with the minimum of inconvenience to the customer.

I made my fair share of cock ups as an an apprentice and I've also put right even more cock ups caused by my apprentices.

Everything from a simple wrong connection which means a lighting circuit doesn't work as it was meant to right through to feet through a ceiling, a circular saw cutting through both! the flow and return pipes of a central heating system when lifting a floor, a carpet melted with a hot drill bit, a burglar alarm left off supply overnight, a pyro submains caught with a drill bit in a busy office, a fire alarm set off in a school and pretty much everything else you could think of.

Whilst college can teach you the theory and give you your tickets, there is simply no substitute for experience.

I don't know where Ross is, but in Scotland you need to show resent training when doing EICR with rented properties and some courses are designed for Electricians to either show resent training or to train in some special field. I have done many courses, 17th Edition, PAT testing, Insulation testing, Cherry picker operating, and many others, which were never designed as a stand alone course, but where designed to show some special aspect of that field of electrical work.

So assuming you are already an industrial electrician taking a course to show you the special aspects of Domestic work where you can drill holes in a beam, how to hide cables in walls, heights of sockets, where you can place a consumer unit etc. In industrial electrics electricians and be quite remote from the electrical engineers who design the installation and often require different skills like dressing cables, and how to fit a gland without marking it, or how to read a PLC controlling a machine.

There are also courses for allied trades, where a plumber may learn some basic electrics or an electrician may learn some basic plumbing. Believe me I have tried repairing a lead pipe and wiping the joint and it does take skill. With every trade there are different areas, I heard of some one being a pipe fitter and I imagined some one threading a bit of pipe and bending it, then I worked alongside pipe fitters and realised I had got it all wrong. Getting a thick wall 32" pipe ground so when the crane lifts it into position it fits first time is a real skill. This is also the problem with the electrical trade you watch an electrician doing one aspect and think is that all there is to it that's easy, but every trade has a whole range of skills.

As far as I can see from the link the course does what I did after completing my apprenticeship at night class. It gives you the bits of paper you need to show employers that you have skills in the areas they require. Days 11 - 18 I did as a night class, it took 18 weeks at 3 hours a week. A full time course is 16 hours a week you are expected to do home work, so my 18 weeks at night class should take around 4 days where this course takes 7 days so it will likely include a little more than I did, but not much more.

Today the apprenticeship has changed, in my day we had day release over 4 years, plus night classes, there was a problem with day release in that you started the apprenticeship with little or no knowledge so you were little more than a mate in the early years, by time you were 18 you were starting to understand some of the work, but today children don't start until they are 18 so some method of fast track is required to get them qualified before they reach an age where they are married with kids. So they now do block release. So 18 weeks solid training then 18 weeks working and so on, which reduces the apprenticeship to something like 2 years instead of the 7 years my dad did or 4 years I did it has to change because the government will not allow them to start at 14 years old as in my dads day, or 16 years old in my day.

The course you have looked at is one of these block release courses it is designed so that you work some where to practice what has been taught with some supervision it is not designed so once complete you start work as a sole trader. It could however work very well if you have an electrician that you can work with who can answer the questions which always arise in a new trade, and can correct you if you have miss understood an instruction. He will also guide you as to rule of thumb methods. For example one role of twin and earth for a ring main.

So to answer the question, it allows you to work more like a third year apprentice rather than a first year apprentice when working with other electricians.

Sponsored Links
I have tried repairing a lead pipe and wiping the joint and it does take skill.
And Savlon.
Very true, it was very like welding aluminium, just when you thought you were finished, you had to start again, too much heat. Plumber a worker of lead, wonder how many can still work with lead? Even roofs today use lead replacement products.

I wonder how many panel-beaters can still do lead work for repairing dents?
Quite common among classic car restorers. I doubt if any manufacturers except for RR still use lead-loading to adjust panel gaps though. I think there used to be about a kilo of lead on each E-Type bonnet.

The polar opposite of the AC Cobra bonnets, made of aluminium so thin that they needed replacing at the end of every summer as they got dented on the leading edge by collisions with flying insects...

As for RR - given who owns them and how money they invested in the new factory, I doubt that any fettling at all is needed, let alone lead-loading.

I had a tour of RR not long after the purchase was completed. The amount of fettling done was quite amazing, as every part was made to fit perfectly, however out of shape it was. Nowhere near as good QA as at Ford, where every part fits (not perfectly, but within specification) without fettling.
I have some coasters made from the circular instrument cutouts from the burr walnut veneer on the dashboards - they told me I could take as many as I wanted. When I went to grab some offcuts of leather from the trim shop though, I was told off. The leather offcuts are sold by weight to Chinese handbag factories.

I had a tour of RR not long after the purchase was completed. The amount of fettling done was quite amazing, as every part was made to fit perfectly, however out of shape it was. Nowhere near as good QA as at Ford, where every part fits (not perfectly, but within specification) without fettling.
Is that perhaps at least partially because Ford parts are made mainly by (pretty consistent) machines, whereas the RR ones are "hand made", by (less precise/consistent) human beings??

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps partially. I had the feeling that it was more a matter of attitude; to RR, the initial fit didn't matter so much, because they would make it fit perfectly, whereas at Ford, any part that didn't fit would be rejected and returned to the supplier along with a penalty charge.

Perhaps partially. I had the feeling that it was more a matter of attitude; to RR, the initial fit didn't matter so much, because they would make it fit perfectly, whereas at Ford, any part that didn't fit would be rejected and returned to the supplier along with a penalty charge.
Yes, perhaps. It's a slightly interesting attitude though, since they are essentially producing something which is "perfectly imperfect" (a bit like the weighing "acurately approximately" that we used to do in A-level Chemistry!). However, maybe they see that as as a 'positive' thing, in the sense that they are thereby not making any two cars which are absolutely identical!

Kind Regards, John

RR and Bentley seem to be good at making ugly cars these days. Since the days of the Shadow 1 and 2 they've got worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back