Domestic Extension & Electrical Certification

Well, in my case, he took off every socket, fitting, accessory, switch, etc. and re-fitted them or least checked them. He found and followed every cable run he could, checked the condition and position, either be sight/feel (in the loft), using cable finders (behind plasterboard) and looking at all the many photos I took of the build in progress which I took for future reference, especially the loads I took of the cabling. He checked/re-did all connections in the consumer unit, did all the tests from different locations using the meters/testers (I am no expert here, you'll know about these, I don't), did as much as was possible. He finished anything that needed doing (brown sheathing to signify live on a light switch, sticker on the consumer unit to signify differing wiring colours new & old), he was there nearly all day, worked non stop. Changed some things (added an MCB for the existing alarm to be on it's own, changed labels for the MCB's to show what each one does. He wanted to know everything and left no stone unturned. And at the end he was happy to certify.
It doesn't matter how much he did like that - if at the end of the day he signed a piece of paper to say that he had done the installation work, and that it complied with the Building Regulations he lied.

My LABC were happy with this, I worked very closely with them throughout the build. They preferred this to a periodic.
That an LABC should connive with a lie like that is shameful.

And possibly elevates the offence to one of conspiracy.

My LABC told me this kind of situation happens now and again.
An electrican might disappear.
He might leave the country.
Become ill.
He might not be certified, yet says he was.
The OP might be mis-lead.
The electrican could die.

All of these situations would mean another to Part P.
Those are all situations where a 3rd party needs to inspect and test the work, but an LABC should not expect that person to falsify documentation at the end of it.

They should have procedures in place to arrange for a level of inspection and testing for compliance with the Wiring Regulations with which they are happy, but they should not be asking people to break the law.

No disrespect intended, but in my opinion it's possible that you are assuming things again, as you did at the start of this thread.
As far as I am aware, the electrican did not lie or break any laws, and my LABC did not lie, break any laws or enter into any conspiracies. They are strong accusations, that would really need my electrician and LABC to respond to.

Sponsored Links
If I'm assuming anything, I'm assuming that when you wrote
another Part P'd..
that you knew what you were talking about.

If you meant that another electrician checked the work, reported his satisfactory findings to the council in the form of of a PIR, or an EIC, or in some type of customised report then that is perfectly OK, but is was not "Part P-ing" in the sense of certifying that the work complied with the Building Regulations, that was what the council did.

But if you meant, which I thought you did given the term that you used, that the 2nd electrician certified compliance with the Building Regulations then I stand by what I said.

There are only 3 legitimate ways that controlled work can be certified as being in compliance with the Building Regulations.

1) By a Building Control Officer

2) By a registered Building Inspector

3) In respect of some work, by the person who actually did it, if they are registered with the appropriate Competent Person scheme.

There really are no others, no matter what accommodations an LABC and an electrician might conspire to arrive at.

Moving on....slightly, something which might amuse you (by the way I had a dedicated thread on this subject, titled something like 'one electrician to do the work, another to Part P', this was some time ago, but a few of you were interested in this at the time, and it outlines the situation I was in), when my electrical/Part P troubles kicked off, I asked if the LABC could do it. Like you rightly said in an earlier post, unless you tick the box in respect to that on the initial form, you have to sort it yourself. However, I insisted due to my situation and the LABC's response - 'there's no one here who could do that anyway.'
How great is that?!

Sadly, it's all too common.

But then they've only had 6 years so far to sort themselves out - just how conscientious do you expect them to be?

Sponsored Links
I thought I would be opening up the Part P minefield again and it seems I have. :LOL:

TBH complying with building regs is fairly straight forward for those in the know but its not for those who have found out when trying to finish off and get completion certificates, which seems all to common. It's spending time on sites like these that has made me aware of what is now required. Prior to me inquiring if his uncle had self certified he was none the wiser and just assumed that as a sparky had done the work then the completion certificate would be forthcoming.

I said I would try and find a solution for him in the real world (I know we could argue the technicalities for ever ;)) but don't think i'm really any closer apart from ruling out that the LBC sending a sparky out. They won't!

It's down to his uncle (or his uncles mates) ;)

I thought I would be opening up the Part P minefield again and it seems I have. :LOL:

TBH complying with building regs is fairly straight forward for those in the know but its not for those who have found out when trying to finish off and get completion certificates, which seems all to common. It's spending time on sites like these that has made me aware of what is now required. Prior to me inquiring if his uncle had self certified he was none the wiser and just assumed that as a sparky had done the work then the completion certificate would be forthcoming.

I said I would try and find a solution for him in the real world (I know we could argue the technicalities for ever ;)) but don't think i'm really any closer apart from ruling out that the LBC sending a sparky out. They won't!

It's down to his uncle (or his uncles mates) ;)

Phone around and get a decent electrician to Part P it. That's the solution. It won't be easy finding one, but you will.

The uncle sparks would have a grade card issued by JIB that would prove his qualification if he had any sorry to change the subject

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back