door closed no handle cannot open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just moved into a new house (x-repossesion) and we have a upv front door that has had the handles and lock removed and has had latches put on with pad locks.

We have removed the latches now but for some reason we are unable to open the door. There is no visable srews and we still have the handles and lock (they are just not on the door).

The handle has 2 long srews, a square bar and obviously the two handles. I have tried to get my finger round the gaps in the door but it is not budgeing. There is no viable screws left in the door so I cannot figure out what is stopping it?

The way I understand it would be that the bar should have to go through some type of mechanism but there isn't anything there. Looking through the whole in the door that the bar would go through is just empty. It goes straight through without anything.

Thanks
k0r54

Sponsored Links
Could it be the sort of lock which shoots a bolt upwards and downwards into the top and bottom of the door frame?

Sponsored Links
When you say the lock has been removed, do you mean the barrel( the one in the link)?

When you look through the holes in the door you should see the mechanism and a square hole in which to put the square bar, this will obviously un latch the door and all the hooks/cams/rollers, if your saying this is not there either then the door should open, so long as there are no screws, thing with repo's is you don't want anyone getting back into the house so the contractor will just fire in a load of screws, he wont be bothered that it scraps the door.

Failing that, there is a possibility its secured from inside, maybe with sash jammers, like these....

http://shop.windowrepairshop.co.uk/...A99/6CD3/0A0F/1116/36B2/sash-jammer-white.jpg

Or propped shut with timber, meaning another way in and out of the house was used?

Hi,

Before anything just to clear up we are in the house just using the back door at the moment.

When I look through the wholes in the door there is nothing. Nothing to slide the bar through or anything. (What would I need for that btw)

I have looked for screws and things but nothing. Nor any of them items you sent. The door just does not open, maybe I need to give it a big kick?

I thought could I possible remove the pins in the hindges and open it from the other way so I can see the mechanism and hopefully fix it from that.

Thanks
k0r54

Sorry i thought you were stuck outside scratching your heads, yes there should be a mechanism in there and a square drive should cleary be visible to put the spindle through, this says to me its been removed and if you cant see any screws on the inside holding it shut then i would take a guess that whoever secured the door took the panel out and screwed sideways through the door and into the frame then put the panel back in, leaving no visible screw holes once someone moves back in as the putting the mech back in would cover the holes.

You will need to flick out the 4 beads and remove the panel to discount this method of securing

Ok, any tips on doing this? the door has a big panel at the bottom and two small ones at the top next to each other. Or does that whole thing come out?

Thanks for your help so far!

Assuming the beads are inside, get like a 2" wide scraper/putty knife and on the bottom panel push it into the bead joint, not in the corners but halfway along the bead so it can bend out and come away from the mitred corners, once you have the 4 beads out the panel should come out, its only foam or polystyrene covered in pvc, not heavy, then take a look along the length on the lock side to see if theres any screws that look like they shouldnt be there, they'll need to be 3 or 4 inches long so the heads will be quite large

hey,

Ok bad news.

Got the door open, after taking the beading out there were two big bolts in the top and bottom corner.

However when the door opened... no mechanism at all :(

Does anyone know where I can get one from? Do they need to be specially made? Is a new door cheaper? If so does anyone know of a good double glazing company as we may invest in getting the whole place done with a nice oak style? We are based in Sheffield.

Thanks
k0r54

Mechanisms are readly available but ideally you want to replace like for like, you can retro fit other makes and models but it may end up being a can of worms and possibly better in the long run if you replace.

Most current mechanisms are sold here if you so wish.....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=10&PHPSESSID=7cee7f6d011807ce069bef5a4ebdb51a

If you look at the keeps on the frame(if their still there) then they may have a manufacturer names on them that you can match up to a make of mechanism

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far. I am not entirly sure what the keeps are however on the frame I can see this stamp engraved onto it:

AW 06 8960

They are a little unclear but this is printed around the frame.

Does this mean anything?

Thanks
k0r54

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far. I am not entirly sure what the keeps are however on the frame I can see this stamp engraved onto it:

AW 06 8960

They are a little unclear but this is printed around the frame.

Does this mean anything?

Thanks
k0r54

Sorry, the keeps are the bits screwed to the frame that the mechanism would lock in to,it may be that they are all small individual keeps like these.....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=19&PHPSESSID=7924ff2a7a46c2d4058fc500f12ba175

Or in one long strip running the whole height of the frame, any names stamped into the metal, most individual keeps have the manufacturer name on the underside.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back