Help... I'm trapped and cannot open door !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an internal door which is closed.
I turned the handle but the door doesn't open.
I removed the handle and the connecting square bar from the tubular latch, looked in the hole and can see that the square hole (that the square bot fits into) has disintegrated . I cannot open the door to replace the tubular latch.
Any idea's on how to open the door so I can fix it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
find a tool that will fit into the remains of the square and can be jammed in place enough to turn it. Immediately block the door to prevent it closing again, and unscrew the end the latch and pull it out of the door.

Does the door open towards you?

If you have a tool such as a small screwdriver, you may be able to press on the side of the latch and push it sideways into the door. It will be even easier if the door opens away from you. You may be able to move it a fraction and then press another tool against it to prevent it springing back while you shift the first tool to move it a bit more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back