Door Frame with no Architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

does anyone know how to make an internal door frame with no architrave to cover up the wood frame? I want to achieve a minimal look with the wall coming up flush to the door - current walls are all stud/plasterboarded.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Door linings come without architrave anyway. You can buy them with the rebate for the door already cut out, or as a kit (which is basically 3 planks and 3 thin pieces of wood which you screw/nail into place once you know the thickness of the door).

Door linings come without architrave anyway. You can buy them with the rebate for the door already cut out, or as a kit (which is basically 3 planks and 3 thin pieces of wood which you screw/nail into place once you know the thickness of the door).

thanks, just that I have taken out the existing architrave, but left with the wood frame not level with the plastered wall. I thought if I plastered over the frame, the plaster would crack over time, is there a way for smooth crackless finish?

cheers

this is the problem you will have wood and plaster/wall will move at a different rate causing cracks thats why you have architrave skirting ect to cover them up

you just have to live with small cracks and movement between wood and plaster if thats the look your after ;)

Sponsored Links
Wood being wood, it will expand/contract with natural air humidity anyway, as well as when you open/close the door. It will almost certainly crack.

However, if you want to give it a try anyway, use plasterboard jointing tape (mesh type) over the edge of the existing plaster and on top of the timber lining. Must admit, I'm pessimistic about how long it'll last.

Wood being wood, it will expand/contract with natural air humidity anyway, as well as when you open/close the door. It will almost certainly crack.

However, if you want to give it a try anyway, use plasterboard jointing tape (mesh type) over the edge of the existing plaster and on top of the timber lining. Must admit, I'm pessimistic about how long it'll last.

hey would this work, edge beading:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1245541210149&isSearch=true

If I planed down the wood frame slightly (12.5mm) and continued the plaster board along using a small piece of plaster board with the edge beading, would this work you reckon?

The link to b&q website is currently unavailable, but if it's what I think, this will work. The only problem you'll have will be between the metal trim and the doorfame, which filling in with decorators caulk before painting may do the trick. I'd be inclined to trim the existing plaster back a few inches to give yourself a fighting chance of the new extention to it (with plasterboard) being stuck to the wall and not the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back