Door handle won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My handle on uPVC window won't open, and there is no key for it. The button seems jammed as it won't press in. How can I remove the handle and replace it with a new one?

IMG_20200514_075405448.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take the screw cap cover off should reveal holding screw. However the other is under the handle so try some wd40 to release the lock, you should get access to the other side. Hope this helps.

Take the screw cap cover off should reveal holding screw. However the other is under the handle so try some wd40 to release the lock, you should get access to the other side. Hope this helps.

thats great,thanks

Do i spray WD40 into the lock area once i have removed the screw?

Sponsored Links
thats great,thanks

Do i spray WD40 into the lock area once i have removed the screw?

i have taken the screw out on the left, sprayed wd40 and it still isnt budging. I can get a lever behind to try and snap the unit off but i dont want to risk damaging the frame of window. Any idea how best to access the other screw?

Okay I'll go ahead. Then it's just a case of buying a new handle and installing I assume?

Just measure the screw width it looks a pretty standard handle. If you have a local window company they will probably have one in stock.

All sorted, i drilled the lock in the end.

I thought i would have a look into why the upstairs window also doesn't open, and i established that the spindle was not seated correctly therefore not opening the window. I took the handle and spindle off, but somehow managed to dislodge the part inside where the spindle sits (not sure the name?) and it has dropped down into the window frame. I now have a handle and spindle, but no way of putting it back on.

Would i have to remove the glass to access the dropped bit? If so, how do i put it back on?

It’s a sprocket type holder. Try a magnet to retrieve it. The glass sits on packers on the frame so no access.

No the magnet should pick up the piece you have dropped into the frame, as I understand it you removed the holding unit for the spindle when you were investigating the handles.

No the magnet should pick up the piece you have dropped into the frame, as I understand it you removed the holding unit for the spindle when you were investigating the handles.
yes that correct, it sounded like it fell to the bottom.

Would i therefore put the magnet on the outside of the frame to try and drag it up to where i may potentially be able to access it?

Picture is here. It's window on left with handle removed. The bit fell down the window frame.

IMG_20200515_073621677.jpg

Last edited:
You might struggle with that option now I’ve seen the window. Your only option might be to make a sort of cockspur hold on the frame. Basically it’s using the handle only and a separate locking point. Send me a photo of the handle and locking point or is that it with the key in .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back