Door keeps closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted several (internal) doors and when you open the door half way some of them stay put......... but others keep closing.

How do I stop that? Its obviously something to do with the way you adjust the hinges........ but how do I adjust them? How should they be?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I did do a search for this btw but didn't find anything (cuz I searched in 'Windows and Doors' section.

Anyway in that thread it says:
DAZB said:
The door keeps closing because it is not hanging plumb.Try to pack one of the hinges out with a piece of card on the door casing side.If it gets no better then try the other hinge. A few attempts and a bit of trail and error and it will come right.

I don't get that. Whats the 'door casing side'? And how do you 'pack' a hinge?

the knucle of the hindges must be in line with each other
packing out can be any material providing the it doesnt show sand paper screw box slithers of wood any material in hand that when compressed with the screw will bring the hinge into line with the other hinge or hinges

you put it as nessisery in the hinge pocket [the recess for the hinge ]to bring it parrallel

Sponsored Links
I'm gonna sound really stupid........... but I still don't understand... :confused:

Thanks for the replies anyway. You got a pic or website?

i edited my post to try and make it clearer
ok take a strait edge line it up parralel to the knuckle off the hinge does it finnish up in line with the other hinges without being at an angle with any hinges and no spaces between the strait edge and the hinges

^ Ok I'll check that out. Basically both hinges have to be exactly in line with each other........ and exactly vertical........ right?

I'm trying to do a search on google that might describe this situation with diagrams..........

yes if they are not in line you are trying to bend the door into an arc or what ever and it wont like it so goes back to where its not being bent or twisted [where there is no tension]

A little tip which does work,

If you take the door hinges off and put it in the vice with a cloth to protect the hinge and just tighten one slot up slightly until it feel stiff, don't overtighten otherwise the hinge will not move!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back