door lock for elderly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new double glazed door fitted for 94 year old lady with slight dementia and found that she hasnt the strenth to lift handle even with both hands so she can lock door with key, has to lock door inside and outside as she dose go out sometimes, tried her at my house with the nob insde that you turn to lock but still had to lift handle first even though mine was very light couldnt do it any ideas please,billm iam her p.o.a. so want to get it right for her.

Sponsored Links
Maybe able to switch the door mech to a slam lock (engaged the multipoint locking automatically so no need to lift a handle)
Would probably need help from the door supplier/fitters as its a fairly complex task to get the right system and fit it.

I'm afraid to say depending on the door/company it may well work out cheaper to get a whole new door made/fitted.

I think there are some bar type tools that can be used to extend the handles so less leverage is required but don't know anything about them personally.

First thing that springs to mind is a simple tube to extend the handle?
But an occupational health person could probably find something?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back