door resistance to attack

Thanks for the suggs.

I am now tending towards two timber bars, which I think will be easier for me than turnbuckles, but similar in effect. I found some Z shaped joist hangers and will put one on the "frame" at each side, and one on the door stile at each side, with a piece of 35mm CLS between them, and touching the diagonal braces. I saw the trick of cutting a notch in the timber to prevent it moving in the bracket. I will if necessary use washers to pack them so they are tight against the face of the gate.

They will support both the lock and the hinge side, but the hook and band hinges look pretty massive to me. I still don't know how this sort of gate fails, unless the lock breaks out, or the keep, like in Bodged's pic. I have also ordered some stainless strip for the frame edge. When I have gone out that way, there will only be the lock.

I thought about fixing brackets to the wall, but am concerned they might come loose under impact, or the brick might crack.

I might possibly use a thumb-nut to lock them in place, or I might pivot them near the middle, otherwise they will just lift or slide out when needed. Will see how it looks. The bar length is about 1040mm plus I will allow overhang at the ends. It will I think look suitably rustic and garden-gate like.

Sponsored Links
thats the great thing about a forum
you can take the bits that work for you and ignore the rest if you wish :D
glad you have found a solution that works for you off course thats the only solution that matters :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back