Door to back building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Pretty new to Diy and had quote for new door or repairs and this was quite dearly.

I was wondering if there is a way to get it done myself cheaper. If so, what do you think?

I am aware that this would be only temporary, for maybe couple of years before we replace it.
(if we can maintain it for at least 3 or 5 more years that would be great)

Happy for that conception to be challenge if you think that a new door will be more cost effective in the long run.

Door is to the garden from a block of flat and on the other side, there is a corridor. ( so no concern about insulation)

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
you can of course fit a new frame and door if you want to DIY. You may need to learn how and to buy some tools. As you did not say what you were quoted I have no idea if it will be cheaper.

Is it an external door exposed to the weather? Is it a fire escape door? Does it need to be secure against burglars? Does it give access to your house? Do you want it to be glazed or solid? What are the dimensions of (1) the door (including thickness) (2) the opening in the wall?

Its a bit of a nacker that one, Jeremy....the frame doesn't look too clever either.
How about measuring it and then checking at the local sheds to see if there are any upvc units on offer?
Looks like Georgian cast glass from here.....maybe a solid timber door would be cheaper? I bought a timber door from Howdens recently - £47.
John :)

Thanks Both John for your reply.

Well when I say newbie, changing door will be a no no as I have no tool and now knowledge whatsoever!!!

So was mostly thinking sanding it and painting it so to make it look nicer and maintained it for couple of years before we change it.

Exposed south, no direct entry, no fire door, door from corridor going to the garden.Yes fire escape door, glazed is nice as give some light otherwise very dark in the corridor.

Door is about 60 cm by 198 cm. and about 4.5cm.

Will painting maintained a bit its longevity?

I guess replacing it in the long run would be best for the aesthetic of the building too.

Thanks
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
you are wasting your time painting a rotten door and frame. It needs replacing. Your measurements indicate it is unusually small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back