Doors: Return to stain

It wont be Scumble, as Scumble was used over an oil based basecoat, not put straight on to raw wood. These doors had cheap ply panels and as such were only any good for painting. The house i am working on at the moment has these same doors that were dipped and waxed to good effect.
The house your working on has similar doors to mine? ...and they were just waxed following dipping? Do they look good despite their humble construction materials?

Sponsored Links
To be honest they look very nice, i'm not a lover of these doors but they do look good.

Actually oil based scumbles were used as both stains and varnishes on wood they were often used in conjuction with what was called a long oil varnish.

They are still used today to produce crackle glaze effects and as an application on Lincrusta, the crackle effect they produce are often finished with artists oils to produce a stunning effect to the crackle.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back