Dorma Loft Insualtion Help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft space has no insualtion on the floor between the joists but has a very thin and old layer of what looks like fibergass matting on the inside of the roof ( the inside sloping ceiling part of the loft betewwn the joists)

Do i need to put insulation on the floor or somehow try to stick it to the sloping roof on top of the old..i think an impossible task..

Is there a reason that it is like this as it looks as this was put there when house was built in the 60s and why would there be none on the floor of the loft...

Hoe some kind person can advise me as its freezing! Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Kingspan and Celotex manufacture solid insulation panels. these have a metal looking surface on the front and back (to reflect heat back into the house in the winter). They are about 2metres tall and 600mm wide. The kingspan webside has a downladable Applications guide but i found it too complicated. there seems to be an issue with condensation getting trapped between the insulation and the roof tiles - which could cause the rafters to rot. The 'fix' seems to be to put a moister barrier on the loft side of the insulation. The other fix is to leave a gap between the tiles and the insulation which is wide enough for the moisture to be carried off by airflow (but this needs the loft to have vents in the soffit boards). Celotex can be bought from Wicks; kingspan from b&q. An insulation installation company only charges about £150 for a dorma bungalow but they will only use rolls of insulation - so you would loose the use of the attick for storage. I'd be interested in how you get on as I've got the same problem in my dormer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back