Double Glazing - ruddy cold draughts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Wimpey No-fines house that had the external insulating render, a rewire and double glazing fitted in 1997. Now, I know the units are knocking on a bit, and certainly one needs a new hinge, but at night if you fail to draw the curtains fully, theres a hell of a cold draught.

One in particular seems ineffective at noise damping as well. All have the trickle vents fitted.

Am I expecting too much of the DG? Is it usual to sit behind a window and feel like I'm sat under an aircon unit? Or is it likely our units are in some way in need of adjustment..? All bar 1 seem to shut tight - the A4 sheet test grabs quite firmly..but they're still a prime cause of cold draughts...

Sponsored Links
you need to decide if there is cold air blowing through gaps between the window frame and the wall (expanding foam, topped by decorators caulk or plaster will fix it); or the seals between the opening window and its frame (possibly the hinges or catches need adjustment) or if it is simply chilled air flowing down the inner glass surface like a waterfall.

Smoke from a joss-stick or similar will help you see the air currents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back