Double Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys my first post.
Basically what it is I have built a Hut/cabin out the back and I have just put 2 sets of 4 spots on the roof (Low voltage) so What I need to know is
how do I wire them up with a double bank swich so I can turn each set on or off independantly. (One double switch only)
I have T&E coming from consumer box up to where the switch goes then I have 2 seperate T&E's for each set of 4 spots.
The switch I have has COM in each side of the switch at the top and bottom left 1WAY and bottom right is 2WAY.

___COM____________COM
1WAY__2WAY_____1WAY_2WAY

Does that make sense?
Basically what goes where?

Consum unit - Switch - transformer - lights.

Sponsored Links
What you have done so far sounds as if it's probably not compliant with BS7671 17th edition (I suspect the T+E supply cable runs underground and isn't protected by earthed steel conduit or similar?), so I guess you haven't notified the work either. Before you any further, you may wish to check here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

In answer to your question, you need to put all three neutrals into a piece of suitably rated terminal block. You should then sleeve all bare CPCs green/yellow and put all three into another terminal block, or the earth terminal on the light switch, if there is one.

The incoming live should go to either of the COM connections, which should then be linked with a short piece of wire to the remaining COM terminal.

The outgoing live cores to the two light fittings should be taken from the 1way terminals - one per terminal. Do not connect to the 2way terminals at all.

This may also be useful for future reference:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage_bands

Basically what goes where?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

I have T&E coming from consumer box
Is the CU in the shed?

....Low voltage ....transformer
FYI - the IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Cheers guys.
Fyi
The cabin is fed from a RCD in the house that used to go to the Hot tub which is in a duct and armour cable.
What I ment was from the hut box (Inside the hut) I have T&E for the sockets and a seperate one for the lights.
OK not coming from an electrical background my termanology might have be wrong.
eg low voltage which I ment to be as 12v as opposed to 240v.
I'm Still in the right catagory though. :LOL:
Point taken everyday is a school day.

Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V

Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC

Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV

High voltage: 35kV - 230kV

Extra-high voltage: >230kV

Sponsored Links
OK not coming from an electrical background my termanology might have be wrong.
eg low voltage which I ment to be as 12v as opposed to 240v.
Yeah - even people making & selling products get it wrong.

And it doesn't matter much, as long as you know what the terms really mean, because, for example, if we look at Part P of the Building Regulations, it says:

The requirements of this Part apply only to
electrical installations that are intended to
operate at low or extra-low voltage and are - ...

So it's kinda important, as it's a law, not to think that it doesn't apply to 230V wiring....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back