Double Lighting Catastrophe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Been decorating the hall and have got a bit of a problem changing the lighting switch. The original was a two switch so I purchased a new two switch socket/button. I wired it up exactly as the original one was (got this wrong originally because the labelling was different on the new one) but now it does not work properly.

I have two switches

1. This one should just turn on the hall light downstairs (it did to begin with)
2. This is a linked thing that turns on the landing light (there is another switch upstairs which controls this ones) - this one worked originally also but have since discovered that the switch on the landing does not work at all and this hall light can only be controlled from downstairs.

Bit of a nightmare to be honest, also switch one is kind of upside down so that on is not the right way (not a biggy but doesn't even work now so nothing much lost)

Current situation is when I turn on the hall light (number 1) it doesn't do anything and switch number 2 turns both lights on and off.

Its kind of all wrong and need some help in working out what is what.

When I look at the wire there are two cables coming in, one has two wires (this one I assume is for the downstairs solo light) and one with three (this one I also assume is for the upstairs dual control light). If I have got this right then it makes it a bit easier to work out although there are loads of combos I will have to try to get it working.

I appear to have one red and one black (two blacks on the dual light switch)

Any idea where these should go (I have L1, L2 and COM)

I am clueless now.

I also have a heating prob but will post this one in the plumbing section (what a weekend) :)

L

Sponsored Links
Likely both switches are wired different.

The two way switch will have likely a three core cable which goes to other switch and the wiring will be like for like with the other switch and there will be a second cable to the switch which uses L1 and L2.

The other switch however with have the wires going to Com and L1 if working wrong way then use Com and L2.

There is a method using only two wires between the two switches you need to ask again if that's the case.

Leevis we are going to need some clear photos of your switch, and the wiring you have coming from the wall to help you resolve this.

Hi All
Been decorating the hall and have got a bit of a problem changing the lighting switch. The original was a two switch so I purchased a new two switch socket/button. I wired it up exactly as the original one was (got this wrong originally because the labelling was different on the new one) but now it does not work properly.
The original switch and can you remember how this was wired up?
I have two switches

1. This one should just turn on the hall light downstairs (it did to begin with)
And the beginning, was when, what have done that is now different?
2. This is a linked thing that turns on the landing light (there is another switch upstairs which controls this ones) - this one worked originally also but have since discovered that the switch on the landing does not work at all and this hall light can only be controlled from downstairs.
You must have no live connection to the gang that is downstairs then
Bit of a nightmare to be honest, also switch one is kind of upside down so that on is not the right way (not a biggy but doesn't even work now so nothing much lost)
Just needs turning around if upside down, but if it is not working how do you know it is upside down?
Current situation is when I turn on the hall light (number 1) it doesn't do anything and switch number 2 turns both lights on and off.
Does this happen regardless of what position gang 1 is in?
It sounds like you have no live link across the gangs or if you do it has not been placed in the correct terminal.
Its kind of all wrong and need some help in working out what is what.
We can help, if you noted down where the conductors were terminated on the original switch.
When I look at the wire there are two cables coming in, one has two wires (this one I assume is for the downstairs solo light) and one with three (this one I also assume is for the upstairs dual control light). If I have got this right then it makes it a bit easier to work out although there are loads of combos I will have to try to get it working.
It will help if you have this correct
I appear to have one red and one black (two blacks on the dual light switch)
So you have one cable that has a red and black in it's sheath and one cable that has two blacks and one red in that sheath.
Do you have any idea how the upstairs landing switch is terminated (core colours and terminal markings)?
Is there any earth cables at the switches? If not are you fitting or have metallic switches/lights?

Any idea where these should go (I have L1, L2 and COM)
I am clueless now.
Do you have any means of testing for continuity and live voltage?
Also can you upload and post any pictures of the switches and cables?

Sponsored Links
I'll get some pics/drawlings sorted out of this one.

Interestingly though, I connected everything from the old switch to the new switch ie L1 to L1 etc exactly as it was so somethings wrong somewhere, pics speak a thousand words.

If you have connected all as previous. There is always the chance that one or more conductors are not making good contact, either not tightened correctly, broken or insulation of conductor has been nipped up in terminal.
But the fact that one light only works when the other is switched on, leads me to think that you have mistakenly identified and terminated something.

You said that
the labelling was different on the new one

This is often the case.

What is the labelling on the two switches, old and new?

If the labelling is different, then L1 on the old may not be the same as L1 on the new! (I know, but that's the way it is sometimes).

Hi Again
Just before this gets out of control, I appreciate the help so far. I will be looking at this again at the weekend when there is some natural light.

I basically transposed the wires from each switch exactly as they were on the original ie right side L1 to L1 etc so in theory it should have worked straight away but it didn't hence the request for some assistance on here.

Something else has happened now, when I said that the light doesn't work, it actually does now (although not correctly) because someone flicked the switch upstairs which affects it.

I will get to the bottom of this one :)

I asked you this question. Tell me the answer and maybe I can help.

What is the labelling on the two switches, old and new?

If the labelling is different, then L1 on the old may not be the same as L1 on the new! (I know, but that's the way it is sometimes).

Ignore my question and you can struggle on for a few more days and then pay to get an electrician.

Sorry chaps, been busy at work and cant get to the switch so will have to wait until the weekend before I can get a pic/pics sorted.

The labelling on the old and new is the same L1, L2 and COM and this was correctly transposed (although this is probably incorrect) on the newer switch.

Just out of interest on a double switch there are two switches, am I right to think that one side would be for the, say, hall light which is a straight on/off and the other is the upstairs landing light which is connected to the upstairs switch.

I will take some pics this Saturday and put them up, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and get it working correctly again. I really appreciate the help so far, if I was able I would have got these pics up earlier.

L

We will need photos of the wiring of botht the upstairs and the downstairs switches, clear enough so we can see which wires go to which terminals!
Thankx

Hi All
Managed to fix this one this weekend. The red wire had come out of the point it was supposed to be in (broke off - must have overtightened). Somehow this had knackered it and its now working fine yay.

Also had another issue of screwing the faceplate to the back box on this one, the threads were knackered on the back box. Was going to replace the back box but it was totally plastered in so I used some ptfe tape (I think that's what its called) to man up the thread a little on the screw and it went it nice. Job done.

Really appreciate all the replies on this one :)

Its a plastic back box, threads are both naffed, is nice to have it secured though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back