Double Pole Neon Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a periodic check done on my house and 1 fault the electrian mentioned was "the neon in the double pole switch located in the bathroom does not function correctly".
But it does work, ie. it comes on when the switch is "On" and goes off when the switch is "Off".

I am now confused and wondering if the Neon should remain on all the time as the switch also has a mechanical "ON/OFF" indicator.

Does that make sense :oops: ?

Sponsored Links
i'm guessing from my own experience that although it is a double pole switch it may only be breaking the live or maybe only the neutral (more dangerous) and this is what he means

Perhaps the neon didn't work when he carried out the test & inspection. As neons are getting older they will sometimes light and sometimes not.
Or maybe the noen was dim and he didn't see it lit, or there is another switch somewhere else that isn't working properly.

At worst you will need a new switch.

Sponsored Links
blueshields
unless you have some form of tester you wont be able to check for what i suggested

Yeah I have a multimeter but he is coming back in 2 weeks to sort a few other things out anyway.
Unfortuately, I wasn't there when he did the check, only my wife and his handwrting on the report is awful :)
I just thought it seemed odd...

You might consider just buying a new switch for a few pounds and changing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back