Double Socket height from floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to install a ring main in the kitchen. As part of the planning for that I wanted to make a safe zone just above skirting level (for running the T+E + equipotential bonding). To do this I was going to place a double switched socket just above the skirting.

I read somewhere that sockets must be placed at a minimum height of 450 mm but does this only apply to new build? Thanks in advance. Steve.

Sponsored Links
If you are putting sockets into a kitchen, the most convenient place to put them is in a row, 150mm above worktop height. You can chase between them to run the cable horizontally. this method is very economical in labour and materials. You can put your FCUs for extractors, and your switches for undercounter appliances, in the same row.

You are not obliged to follow the 450mm/1200mm height in an old house, but it is a good convention to follow. As people get more and more used to that standard, they will find lower sockets look very odd. You will also find it easier and more convenient to reach sockets at the standard height, especially when you feel old and tired and have a bad back, bad knees etc. and even if you intend to die before getting old, you will probably want to sell the house eventually.

For the worktop area I will do as you suggest but I need to get the ring across a wall. That wall has a radiator fitted so I wanted to create a channel for the cables in between the skirting and the horizontal radiator pipes below the radiator. Unfortunately that will mean I have to place a socket low down (to define the safe zone). Are there any rules regarding proximity of electrical cables to water pipes? Thanks for your help. Steve.

Is this in a new extension? Not sure if it applies in your case but as it sounds like notifiable work it might be - I believe for new extensions regs mean you can't make changes that make your building 'less' compliant with part M - from discussions with building inspectors etc. this means that you can put a socket as low as existing sockets but not lower.. (also can't make a ceiling less of a fire barrier or less acoustically insulating etc)

could you go up to the ceiling or safe zone at the top of the wall in line with a socket one side of the rad and come back down the other side? Or just temporarilly remove the rad and go through at the right height and have a socket at that height?

(am not an electrician by the way so don't take any of this as gospel. Hopefully someone here will pick me up on this if I am wrong)

Trev

Sponsored Links
Not an extension. Just fitting a new kitchen in my old (1908) house including a new ring main. There is only one double socket at the moment and that is a spur off the upstairs ring main. I could go behind the radiator but would then have to de-rate the cable as the cable would get hot. Going up to the ceiling and then back down seems a lot of hastle when it seems feasible to go straight across horizontally. Thanks for your input. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back