Regulations for socket height

AIUI - if it's a full renovation or new build, then sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm above finished floor level.

Part M (the section on accessibility) of the building regulations doesn't apply to a renovation of a dwelling, only to a new house, so you can put them at any height you choose. And even for new homes, remember that the 450 & 1200mm figures are only guidelines in the Approved Document, not absolute requirements.

A couple of recent threads on the topic:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2073137
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2070103

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who have clarified the renovation/Part M/socket height non-requirement!

I wasn't actually planning to re-wire the house completely as the existing wiring isn't that old. It's all white PVC Blue/brown wires.

I'm simply planning on installing more sockets, and sinking the existing (surface mounted) sockets and conduit into the walls.
I was under the understanding that adding new sockets to a ring was allowed by DIY'ers :confused:

Sponsored Links
I was under the understanding that adding new sockets to a ring was allowed by DIY'ers :confused:

Any electrical work is still allowed on a DIY basis, it's just that some of it is now (since 2005) notifiable under building regulations.

Adding sockets to an existing circuit is in the list of works exempt from notification, however, so long as it's not in a kitchen, bathroom, outside, etc.

The full list of exempt work is here (some of which is fairly clear, and some of which is somewhat open to interpretation as a search through past threads on the subject will illustrate):
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/4/made

Yes, but they still have to comply with the 'Regs' and they still have to be tested.

Do you have test equipment?
Are you competent to test?

Because here's what you'll have to do - just for adding a 'simple' socket -

1) Establish that the earthing contact of the socket outlet is connected to the main earthing terminal.

2) Measure the Insulation Resistance of the circuit that has been added to, and establish that it complies with Table 61 of BS7671.

3) Measure the Earth Fault Loop Impedance to establish that the maximum permitted disconnection time is not exceeded

4) If the work is protected by an RCD, verify the effectiveness of the RCD.

So.........all of a sudden not such a simple job for a DIYer and his 'neon' screwdriver, is it?? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back