Downlight size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing some downlights that are paintable 'invisible' type. The MR16's are approx 72mm throw out light at 50w max. Im thinking of going for smaller 65mm items that throw out max at 35w. I was looking to dim them as and when required; they are being installed to 'wash' pictures and just over fireplace when watching tv. Would 35w be enough?
Another issue is that I know they do energy efficient MR16 lamps but dont think they do the smaller lamps.

Sponsored Links
My apologies chillout .my reply had reference to the earlier thread on Bathroom Downlights

The GU10 lamps come in a variety of wattages to fit your choice of downlight. If wishing to install energy savers then check the fitting will accept their length before you buy.

Sponsored Links
BAS has what some might call a hatred for downlighters, but as you seem to be using them for their designed purpouse ( ie highlighting certain things and not for general lighting ) then he may have some helpfull things to say for a change..

Ah right I get you all now! Yes Im having a main chandeleir which is chrome and d/lights to highlight bits around the room. Chrome items would be too much I think so aiming to use the paintable downlighters; even so still concerned that the MR16's might look too big. Therefore option is smaller items that throw out 35w max, dont know if these will look too dim.
I was going to use low energy halogens rather than GU10s. Are the GU10s CFL's?

Yes the GU10 energy savers are CFLs...the GU10 i d. refers to the lamp base in this instance Mains[Low voltage] as opposed to 12v. {extra low voltage]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back