Downlighters flick on then off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I have an en suite in my loft conversion. There are two downlighte in it. The labels of the wiring state that they are 20w. My problem is this, and it has only started recently, when I switch the light on the downlights flick on for a tenth of a second and then turn off. If I try to switch on again straight away there is then no power at all. I would have to wait at least ten or twenty minutes before I would get a small flick of power when I try to turn on again. There is definitely no problem with the bulbs themselves as I have tested these in the bedroom next door.
Is it a problem with the wiring??? Please help somebody.
Regards
DAVE

Sponsored Links
Are they ELV downlights with transformers? Maybe your transformer is on the way out. If it was the wiring then I wouldn't expect it to come back on again but some transformers will automatically reset after overheating and work for a short period until they overheat again.

Hi bongos. One of the downlights can be pulled down and basically there are
two sets of blue and brown wires going into a plain white plastic box, then the white cables of the downlight come out from that. I don't know about the other light as I can't pull it down easily.
Don't know what an ELV is??

Sponsored Links
No they are not ELV (just look it up), the bulbs are at least 4 years old

Does this white plastic box have anything written on it?

You say they are not ELV, but the fittings state 20W. This could be a lamp run from a transformer.

Can you post some more information, preferably pictures?

Also, is the light switch a dimmer?

When you pull the lights down, does loft insulation fill the gap that is left? Is the hole they sit in surrounded with insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back