Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my next trick in the kitchen/D room refurb. I'm adding 3 downlighters in the ceiling over a work top. My question is this:
Should I link the wiring into the existing light at the rose (although I want it to operate from an independant switch) or, run a new cable linked into the existing lighting cable via a junction box.

What are the pros and cons? or simply the best option?

The ceiling is being renewed anyway, so access won't be an issue.

Sponsored Links
you should pick up a live, (middle reds ) neutral (two blacks together) earth (separarate terminal) from the rose take this cable to the (transformer) of the first light, connect the black to the light (transformer) run a new cable from the light to the new switch (switch goes other end across red & black) connect the two reds at the new light with a connector block (5 amp) connect the black from the switch to the LIVE side (of transformer) connect the earth wires together also via a connector block.
all done. :)

I as you may have noticed assumed you are having low voltage lights

Thanks Breezer, much appreciated. I should have made you the project manager ;)

Low voltage is correct.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back