Downlighting

Oh dear - I happen to enjoy a McDonalds every now and again, and have never been offended by a satellite dish either! I guess that makes me ignorant and lacking in good taste, then? :cry:
It certainly makes you ignorant - have you any idea what goes into Mcdonalds? Try eating one of their patties on its own, with absolutely nothing else on it or around it, and see if you think it's a quality product.

As for satellite dishes, there are places where they have been officially recognised as beinng so ugly and despoiling that they are legally banned.

If taste wasn't entirely subjective, and if your particular tastes were some kind of gold standard by which all other tastes were measured, you might have some small justification for leveling personal insults at anybody whose tastes differ from your own. It would still be rude, though.
Actually, I haven't levelled insults at anybody, just making a generic point that Tonka's "Nowt wrong with downlighters" is as irrelevant and pointless as you think my views are.

My objections to downlighters are based on the indisputable fact that they are an inefficient way to light a room, and that they are not designed to light a room, so using them to do something they were not designed to do is wrong.

I might well point out that surfacing an entire drive with small blocks is a pointlessly inelegant and labour intensive method of drive surfacing
You'd better never waste your time visiting historic properties then, they are full of examples of labour intensive processes.

which results in a drive prone to weed penetration,
I wasn't expecting it to be maintenance free.

rutting by vehicles
Not so far, given that it's only used for cars.

and general difficulty to maintain,
I've not encountered any difficulties.

and which looks like it wants to be a wall.
You need glasses.

I could further claim that anybody who chooses such a method of surfacing a driveway must be an ignorant fool totally lacking in good taste,
You could, and whilst I accept the point about taste being personal, there are standards against which to measure things on reasonably objective bases, so, for example, your Mcdonalds when set against the quality of ingredients and preparation, and attention to detail found in Michelin starred restaurants is going to come up distinctly lacking. I don't think that block paving would be as obviously bad.

and that the only sensible method for load-bearing area coverage is steel reinforced poured concrete. :)
If that's what was needed from an engineering POV it might be a sensible method.

I'm glad that you recognise the importance of proper performance, fitness for purpose etc, and therefore that you realise that 2" diameter spotlights are not the way to light a room.

Of course I would not, because I respect the fact that solutions other than the most elegant/efficient may be chosen for aesthetic or other reasons,
My block paving works.

2" downlighters do not.

Form over function, when taken to such an extreme that you misuse products and make things which do not work is lunacy.

Sponsored Links
Theres a shop round here with approx sixty 600 X 600 tiles.

They have a 50mm downlighter in the centre of every tile.

in a general sense aren't 'labour intensive' activites associated with in-efficiency? Automate, simplify, it is ze vay forvard :) ya

Maybe thats why you see things in historic buildings that you shouldn't see in modern ones?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back