downlights in soffets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to put downlights in the soffets . Taking power from the garage through a transformer to eight downlights , however, could someone please tell me can you "daisy chain" the lights. I am thinking of using 35w lights using one 300w transformer. I also want to incorporate a pir detector but still have the option to have the lights on constant.
would appreciate some advice as to the best way to do this

Sponsored Links
Some points:-

8 x 35W @ 12V = approx 23A.So you need cable for that.

Check that your soffit is not asbestos!!!!

If the soffit is wood the downlights need to be rated for install in combustable material (can't remember the spec)

A PIR's switching contacts will possibly decline quicker switching a highly inductive load ie the transformer

ricicle said:
If the soffit is wood the downlights need to be rated for install in combustable material (can't remember the spec)

They need to carry the F-mark
F-mark.jpg

Sponsored Links
DennisLS said:
The soffits are wood , do you think I should forget the pir idea?

Depends on the switch rating of the PIR's contacts.These would need to be at least 2 amp inductive.Otherwise you could switch a relay but that becomes more involved.I suggest you look at the specs of some PIRs at your local wholesalers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back