Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. :!: I was wondering if someone could help me with a slight problem I have with my downlights that I have had fitted. They dont sit flush to the wall and consequently in daylight I can see underneath the fitting slightly and when the lights are on, light filters through from the gaps. Is there something I can buy/use to act as a trim round the lights (kind of like a large washer)? Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Will these 'trims' have to withstand the heat from the lamps ?
Can you get hold of a picture of the lights, it may be more help to us.

Ed

Hi Ed. Hope I have done this right and you can see a pic. Not 100% sure as to whether the original hole they made wasnt quite big enough but either way, I would like to find something that will work to make it tidier.

Run a bit of decorators caulk round the fitting.
Although it makes em hard to get out of the ceiling if you need to later.

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to tell from the picture, but these type of lights are usually held in place by two clips and removing the light is by simply pulling the fitting out of the hole. I have had the problem you describe and it was caused by the hole not being big enough (about 2mm undersized). This stopped the fitting from being full inserted.
You have already suggested this as being the problem and in my limited experience that is exactly what it was.
To fix it, isolate the supply to the lights at the consumer unit, pull the light fitting out of the ceiling and open out the hole using a rasp or rough file.
The operation will cause a lot of dust if the ceiling is constructed of plaster board. Also be very careful of damaging ANY of the wiring.
The Light will then fit flush as designed.
Why not get the guy back who fitted the lights in the first place as clearly he hasn't done the job properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back